What was YOUR major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyMD2b

... moment of silence
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you regret it and why?

...Just curious. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who didn't follow the typical path..I actually find this an interesting question.

I started out as a Fire Science major. I did a 3-year program which trained me as a paramedic and firefighter. My original intent was to work the rest of my life as a fire medic - which I did for about 10 years before/during medical school.

When I decided to go to medical school (so I could be a trauma surgeon!) I had to hurry up and get a degree. The fastest path was to major in history, so that is what I did!

To answer your question, I have no regrets. I have a lifetime of stories and memories from my days as a medic, it was a ton of fun. But I am also glad those days are behind me. I am also glad that I majored in history - I think I was able to relate to those old guys at the VA a little better than the average medical student b/c I was so interested in the battles they fought in, etc.

In the end, I'm definitely glad I found radonc through my circuitous path - but I never could have planned my life this way!

Last edited:
Exercise science. No. So glad i didn't submit myself to the torture of a basic science major. I like medicine and people, not plants, animals, and fungi.

Electrical Engineering.
No.

1st BS: Exercise Physiology (at that time, I was on the "professional athlete" track)

2nd BS: Biological Sciences

No regrets whatsoever on my choice of majors. I found my calling to be a physician after earning my first BS, and thereby forgoing a career in professional sports. As far as my second degree, I am very pleased that I chose Biology b/c it made my first year of medical school relatively easy. :thumbup:

Chemical Engineering.
No, it was great to get exposure to something else, and I think engineering is a great background for rad onc.:)

Physics and Math. No. If I had a 2nd life to live, I'd be a cosmologist. As it is, at least I get to use my physics and math as background.

History.
No, it's made me a better doctor.

English Lit (emphasis Shakespeare) and Molecular Biology.

Definitely not.

politics.

absolutely not. I (comparatively) didn't do ****.

Biology. Would not have traded it, learned a lot and met some fantastic people.

Economics, Chemistry, and Spanish. LOVED econ- if it weren't for so much math, a combined MD/PhD (econ) might have been in my future.

Economics, Chemistry, and Spanish. LOVED econ- if it weren't for so much math, a combined MD/PhD (econ) might have been in my future.

I'm an econ major right now, and MD/PhD in econ would be very, very cool... Would that still give me a leg up for rad/onc match? I know regular MD/PhD's (in, say, bioengineering) have an advantage over regular MD's.

I got my degree in biology. I don't regret it (college was a lot of fun), but if I did college over again I think I'd study statistics since it's very useful, but much more difficult to learn independently compared to bio.

Just wondering this as well...
I want to major in Electrical Engineering, but I know this might hurt my gpa, as I know RadOnc is very competitive, so I'm thinking Biology. I just want to have the best knowledge as possible for med school and my step scores.