what type of research is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgmaniac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my MS2 and am torn between urology and plastics. I am currently working for a urologist doing research. Definitely have one publication and 2 presentations from it, maybe more. Should I try to do some work with the plastics folks over the next yr in order to improve my odds in plastics if i choose to do that route?

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to start my MS2 and am torn between urology and plastics. I am currently working for a urologist doing research. Definitely have one publication and 2 presentations from it, maybe more. Should I try to do some work with the plastics folks over the next yr in order to improve my odds in plastics if i choose to do that route?

Generally I think broad aspects of research are better than focusing all on one topic. I know someone who was involved in several different research projects, all of which were highly specialized...only to match in a different field.

Find projects that interest you so that you can talk about them...rather than sound like an abstract when attendings what to know what youve been doing. Perhaps look for something that has long term potential for ongoing research.

Most importantly, do well in 2nd year and keep an open mind on rotations. Both Uro and Plastics are competitive spots...not saying you cant get them, but you may very well change your mind about your future once youre on rotations. Doing research in a particular field doesnt necessarily give you an accurate picture of lifestyle and daily scope of practice.

I agree with JP Hazelton...research is research as long as you can discuss it intelligently at your interviews. If you decide you want to do plastics, you will also need to explain why you did the switch over from urology.

Working with the plastics guys is a good idea if that's where you think you're going...not so much from the research aspect but from the connections/network/letter of recommendation standpoint.

What I really think you need is to figure is this: Urology and plastics, while both competitive, are not the same. As I've said before, you need to ask what you see yourself doing everyday for the next thirty years. JP is also right in that in order to get a handle, you need some experience with what each specialty does. It may not be a bad idea to ask to shadow an attending prior to you third year to get some experience.

--M