Letters specifying what type of surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a letter from a general surgery faculty, but I was wondering do most letter writers that are not plastics specify what you are going into? I have been advised to apply to gen surg programs as well (despite being a strong applicant on paper), so I was wondering what letters you all get from non-plastics faculty say?

For example, does it say "Kaleerkalut will make an excellent surgeon" or does it specify plastic surgeon? Should I ask the faculty to leave it vague and just say surgeon or should I have two versions (one specifying plastic surgeon and the other being general to just surgeon). Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Many moons ago when I was dual applying (ortho and general) I had one letter writer that I was using for both (because I was doing research with him at the time, not having a letter from him would have been weird). I tried to get him to do two letters with one being specific for ortho and one being more vague. Somehow the last line about what a fantastic orthopedic surgeon I would make made it into both letters. Led to some serious explaining on the interview trail. Might be better if you just leave it at surgeon instead of trying to get fancy with multiple versions.