What to tell your #2 program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to my #1 TY program letting them know they were my #1. I don't know if that will help or not or is advisable.

My #1 TY program is quite competitive. I would probably be just as happy at my #2 choice. To maximize my chances, I'd love to send them an email as well and tell them I'm very interested in their program. How would an email look to them that said I was going to have them high up on my rank list? Would they look down upon that because I didn't say they were my #1? Should I just not send an email at all? I have heard that some people just tell multiple programs they are their #1 choice, but I don't feel right doing that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I sent an email to my #1 TY program letting them know they were my #1. I don't know if that will help or not or is advisable.

My #1 TY program is quite competitive. I would probably be just as happy at my #2 choice. To maximize my chances, I'd love to send them an email as well and tell them I'm very interested in their program. How would an email look to them that said I was going to have them high up on my rank list? Would they look down upon that because I didn't say they were my #1? Should I just not send an email at all? I have heard that some people just tell multiple programs they are their #1 choice, but I don't feel write doing that.

Given that your #2 TY is probably hypercompetitive as well, anything other than a #1 e-mail would probably hurt more than help. It seems that the only way a "rank you highly" would help is at non-competitive programs, who do not receive dozens of "rank you #1" e-mails during this time in the cycle. I definitely empathize with you, though, as I am in a similar situation.