How to tell PD I'm switching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted614508

I'm planning to discuss switching specialties with my current PD, but I'm really struggling in articulating how to phrase my initial email as I've known my PD for a while since I was a med student, we get along well, and I'm worried about their reaction (I'm planning to meet them in person obviously, but I need to set up the meeting and to do so I want to communicate my plans to my PD before meeting) I'd really appreciate some pointers..thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

More details please. You are an intern now? By "switching specialties" are you planning to quit the program early or finish out your intern year and start somewhere else in July 2021?

In either case, the first thing you need to do is be REALLY sure you want to leave the program. If you are 50/50 or if there is a chance you may change you mind in a few months I recommend sorting it out BEFORE talking to your PD. This is because as soon as you mention leaving to your PD you become seen as a vacant spot. Depending on the size of your program you may need to be replaced and this is a pain in the ass for the program. Ultimately, you need to do what's right for you but out of respect for your PD let them know as soon as you decide for sure so they can make plans to recruit a 2nd year to fill your shoes if necessary.

In my Res program there was an intern who told our PD in Sept that he wanted to switch to FM. He got our PD's blessing and sent out applications. He tried to change his mind a few months later but found they had already scheduled interviews for his spot for next year and wouldn't let him stay. He was bitter about it but finished up his intern year with us. If I recall he ended up matching to a FM residency in the middle of nowhere.

I would just make an apt and bring it up in person. PDs meet with residents all the time about all sorts of things.

I would definitely talk to other friends and mentors you trust first. Interns having second thoughts is very common and it’s worth some due diligence before starting to make it official. Intern year has a certain level of suckage in all fields and you don’t want to make a major life decision based on inaccurate data. That said, plenty of people can tell that early on that they want or need a change.

As for the PD, just be open and honest. Losing an intern isn’t that big of a deal as recruiting a PGY2 is pretty easy given the number of prelims floating around that desperately need an advanced spot. Sounds like you know this person well so they can also be a good source of insight as to whether you’re making the right call.

I had one fellow intern who was honestly amazing at her job but decided surgery wasn’t her jam. Went to her PD officially in October/November I think and got the full support of the program behind her and matched one of the top programs in another field. Her spot went to an awesome prelim who really impressed everyone and went on to become a very beloved resident. All are now fellows/attendings and presumably happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More details please. You are an intern now? By "switching specialties" are you planning to quit the program early or finish out your intern year and start somewhere else in July 2021?

In either case, the first thing you need to do is be REALLY sure you want to leave the program. If you are 50/50 or if there is a chance you may change you mind in a few months I recommend sorting it out BEFORE talking to your PD. This is because as soon as you mention leaving to your PD you become seen as a vacant spot. Depending on the size of your program you may need to be replaced and this is a pain in the ass for the program. Ultimately, you need to do what's right for you but out of respect for your PD let them know as soon as you decide for sure so they can make plans to recruit a 2nd year to fill your shoes if necessary.

In my Res program there was an intern who told our PD in Sept that he wanted to switch to FM. He got our PD's blessing and sent out applications. He tried to change his mind a few months later but found they had already scheduled interviews for his spot for next year and wouldn't let him stay. He was bitter about it but finished up his intern year with us. If I recall he ended up matching to a FM residency in the middle of nowhere.

I'm planning to finish out the intern year and start in a different specialty (if it works out)

I'm planning to finish out the intern year and start in a different specialty (if it works out)

Sounds good. You need to do what's right for you at the end of the day. Just make sure you aren't being impulsive and understand that you may be viewed differently during the remainder of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.