What to study for OAT

kwrugby12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few people asking about what materials to study in preparation for the OAT. At first I was in the dark on what to study, but here are my scores and what I did. I took the test back in October.

Bio-380
GC-390
OC-400
Phys-370
QR-350
RC-350
TS-390
AA-370

I ordered the TopScore Pro cd off the internet but since they sent me the DAT version it took awhile for me to get the right one. I was planning on studying for 3-4 weeks straight, but it ended up being almost 5. The topscore cd was good in that it oriented me to the format that the OAT is now given. It also helped me in showing the areas that I needed to study from my books. A couple of the answers were wrong but I would recommend this program (it was only $49 or something). The biology section on the test is somewhat hard to study for. While I was waiting for the topscore I would read the main sections of each chapter of my gen. biology book and take notes. Most of it I had forgotten but once I read the boldened type, it all came back to me. The OAT will ask trivial questions in biology (ie: certain events within the different stages of Mitosis/Meiosis, how old the earth is thought to be, cellular components/functions, how many ATP per NADH/FADH2, stuff like that). So this is pretty time consuming. After doing this for a few days, I borrowed the MCAT study guides and read them cover to cover and did each problem at the end of each chapter for a couple weeks. These books were probably the most important for me (your biology dept. should have these, I "borrowed" them). Usually I would focus on one of the subjects for 2-4 hours and then get tired and switch to another subject. This is how I kept myself going for 8 hours a day/5 days a week/for 5 weeks. After studying physics for 4 hours it seemed like a reward to be able to go to the bio section of the MCAT books and study. After this became a chore I would go to the O-chem section- and so forth. I ended up going through each section twice, except the bio section, each time answering all the questions. I wrote all the physics formulas on note cards and memorized them. This may seem hard but it really isn't. I worked on the weekends and at work I would go through my O-chem and physics flash cards every so often. Before I went to bed I would take 10 minutes to review the cards. After 3 days I had all the formulas and reactions memorized. For QR I didn't really study except for the questions on topscore. I did like the RC portion of topscore. It gives you experience of reading under the pressure of a clock and answering questions while scrolling back and forth through the article. The RC section is not about how fast you read, it is about being able to visually track (in your mind) where certain subjects within the article are and how fast you can confirm,using the text, your initial answer to the question (hope this makes sense). By the way, for those of you who have taken the test-did you have the pontoon bridge, crocodilian pressure receptors, and drug associated serotonin/dopamine signaling passages? I also found that our school library had DAT/MCAT practice tests. I liked these because it exposed me to more questions that could possibly be on the test. If any of you are still reading this you are probably stressed about taking the test. It is stressful, but you get out what you put in. You need to study hard and push yourself, but also know when to take a break and relax. I have applied to 5 schools (SCCO, UHCO, UMSL, PUCO, UCBCO) and have been accepted to 4 and have an interview at the last one (which I probably won't attend). You might feel like you are in bondage to studying right now, but a decent OAT score along with grades opens so many doors and options later. Good Luck, hope this helps.

Pacific University, Class of 2011-Go Boxers

Members don't see this ad.

Hi kwrugby12,

First let me say - GREAT scores!! No wonder why you've already been accepted to 4 out of your 5 schools!

One question - how often did you take the Topscore tests? And how long did it take you to review all of the answers?

Thanks!

Well, I took the bio section on the topscore test by itself to see how I would fair right off the bat. They have I think 4 total tests with all the sections, but you have the option of taking each section by itself, or the test as a whole. I got a 320 or 330 (I am a Bio maj/chem min) so I felt ok. I then took the G-chem section and got a 280 or 290 on the practice, that was a slap in the face (2 years since Inorganic-chem). So I decided to study for about a week in all the subjects between each test. My scores each time jumped and the last practice test I took was between 360-400 for all the sections. You can see which questions you missed right after the test and it gives you a subject title of what you need to study. Often times my textbooks would have almost the same chapter headings as the subjects from the cd.

so you were accepted to umsl, even though you didn't go to the interview because it is too cold in st. louis like you said in another posting, and you're already accepted to UCBSO even though they just interviewed this past weekend. So of the 5 schools you applied to, you magically got accepted to 4? But hey I could be wrong. I could be wrong that in most of your posting you sound like an arrogant a$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
CAOD 05-
What is with the contentious attitude? Yes you are wrong. First off, I never said I was accepted to Berkeley. In fact I was only invited to the interview, which I turned down because Berkeley wasn't in my mind the best of schools. Not saying it's a bad school-they just had a flavor that I didn't like. I didn't have to attend the interview to realize this. Second, I was not "officially" accepted at St. Louis, but an unofficial word of mouth acceptance was given to me by a certain someone who is the head of the admissions committee through my repeated telephone conversations in which an error occurred in the application process. Yes it is true that I would be required to attend the interview for the official invitation, but I took the unofficial acceptance as being genuine. I also turned this down, mainly due to location. I guess that means I am an "arrogant a$$." Confirmation of this can be seen in the fact that I have taken time out of my studies to write a lengthy message trying to provide insight for anyone that will take the OAT in the future, and is as lost as I was before I received advice from this same forum. So I am sorry if I gave anyone this impression. I hope instead of being competitive and contentious with one another that we all may be understanding and forgiving of each other, always offering help. For any kind of clinician I feel these would be important traits to have for patients/coworkers. My apologies.:)

Hi there! I do not think you are arrogant at all!!!!! No way- if you are such a great candidate then of course all the schools will be vying for you and you totally deserve it!
Could you tell me more about your optometry-extracurricular activities that you had and what your grades were? I have a lot of community volunteering and school committee leadership experience but my CGPA is 3.25 with a double degree in Biology and Psychology in Canada.

so I really really awnt to get a good mark on the OAT. I wrote the DAT about two years ago and it was decent- i think i could have studied bio and chem from my textbooks but its the physics and math part of the OAT that I am totally and absolutely freaked out about- could you please give me advice in terms of what level they ask for? I only remember math and physics from cegep which is the equivalent of first year university in canada. is that good enough>
thank you so much for your study style tips! I will def follow that! You are so kind to share it- totally not arrogant at all!!!! so generous and sharing- not competitive and crazy like some ppl at my schoool lol

how come you dont like berkeley though- it seemed like a good school from their website- i;m not from the states-0 i;m rfom montreal in quebec ( canada0 ever hear of McGill University?

hmm an did you hear about a website: webexam.com- they have some oat tests to sell - are they good? i only hear about topscore- and i;m debating what i should buy

I think practice exams are so important for mc type exams- at least that's the experience i had with the dat and exams at McGill University

Please Let me know! Thanks a lot! Continue your sharing spirit and mentality!