What to put in a "I'm ranking you #1" email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm confused. How is that comparable to an "I'm ranking you #1" email? That guy just sent out a terrible cover letter that everyone made fun of.

Dude, he benched double his body weight. +35 pull-ups. What is there to be confused about???

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to send the "ranking you #1" email to a program this week? I just did a second look today and didn't make my final decision for number one until just now.

I would send it if it were to help me at all...I'm just wondering if it may actually hurt my chances to send it this late.

Thanks!

Is it too late to send the "ranking you #1" email to a program this week? I just did a second look today and didn't make my final decision for number one until just now.

I would send it if it were to help me at all...I'm just wondering if it may actually hurt my chances to send it this late.

Thanks!

I hope it's not too late, I just sent mine this weekend! :scared:

Yeah, I know how you feel. More specifically, I was wondering when the deadline is for programs to submit their match lists? I remember hearing that it's either earlier or later than for applicants...

Any advice?

Our deadline is the same as yours. That being said, we usually get our lists in at least a week early, and then let y'all obscess and change yours repeatedly

Our deadline is the same as yours. That being said, we usually get our lists in at least a week early, and then let y'all obscess and change yours repeatedly

How kind of you. :) My list is mostly done, just waiting on a few email responses to determine the fates of several programs floating around the middle of my list. There are some things I think about and I'm just not sure how much they matter (e.g. international opportunities, oral board prep of some sort, elective rotation).

I dont think it's too late. I just sent one today.

It's not like the lists can't be adjusted after their rank meeting

Just curious, what does it usually take for you to go back in to your list and tweak it after it's initially submitted? Do these "You're #1" emails do anything?

Just curious, what does it usually take for you to go back in to your list and tweak it after it's initially submitted? Do these "You're #1" emails do anything?

Speaking for my program, it depends on where you are on the rank list. It won't affect someone in the bottom half, but it might move up someone who is already in the top 10 (basically moving from likely to match to likelier to match). But we're only talking about a couple of spots max. No one moves from #20 to #5 based on email correspondence--that would probably take Dean-level involvement.

Speaking for my program, it depends on where you are on the rank list. It won't affect someone in the bottom half, but it might move up someone who is already in the top 10 (basically moving from likely to match to likelier to match). But we're only talking about a couple of spots max. No one moves from #20 to #5 based on email correspondence--that would probably take Dean-level involvement.

Just moving up a few spots can be huge.

Also, what stops people from sending out multiple #1 emails. Do PDs ever really do anything about it? Would a PD ever tell your new PD about it? (it seems a lot of them know each other).

I would personally never risk my reputation, as medicine is such a small field and I also think it is totally unethical.

However, if people are sending out multiple ones, that would simply make them not matter anymore. So, I was wondering if there was anything in place to stop this, so that when PDs do get a #1 letter, they knew it actually means something.

Reactions: 1 user
Just moving up a few spots can be huge.

Also, what stops people from sending out multiple #1 emails. Do PDs ever really do anything about it? Would a PD ever tell your new PD about it? (it seems a lot of them know each other).

I would personally never risk my reputation, as medicine is such a small field and I also think it is totally unethical.

However, if people are sending out multiple ones, that would simply make them not matter anymore. So, I was wondering if there was anything in place to stop this, so that when PDs do get a #1 letter, they knew it actually means something.

Theres nothing to stop it. However, if you really have a relationship with someone and tell that program their your number 1 and they go to bat for you when it comes time to make the list - and then you don't match there.....they can remember it if you ever come back looking for fellowships or jobs. So yes it can absolutely bite you in the butt.

Hey guys I have a potential issue here. Two weeks ago, PD from one of my top rank programs (let me label it program A) sent me an email that they were planning to rank me #1 in their match list and they were confident I would join their team should I rank them on top of my list. At that time, I politely replied his email mentioning that I liked the program and would rank them highly too (keep in mind I didn't specify the number). I wasn't so sure at that point of time if I would rank them #1 or #2 as I was still exploring all options I had in my hand. I maintained good post interview communication with both programs but program A always gave positive respond to my email. I assumed (which I just realize I shouldn't) that program A was more interested with me than program B (which happen to be more prestigious). Frankly speaking, personally I think both programs are great and it was a very tough call. I kept changing my ROL everyday, switching between my #1 and #2, because I was totally undecided.

One day before the deadline, I sent another email to the PD in program A telling him that I felt their program was more suitable for me and I was confident that I would join the team should he sticked with his initial plan. However, later in the SAME day I got another email from the residency coordinator in Program B telling me that they ranked me highly in the list. Heck, why they sent this "letter of intent" email so late ???? I was so confused and started questioning my decision again. Driven by this email, I changed my ROL again and ranked Program B #1. Now I am horrified by the fact that I didn't rank Program A as what I implied in my email to the PD. What if I really match at Program B ? Not that I am sure I will match at program B because the coordinator actually didn't indicate my position in their list. I am hoping it is not #1. Should it be a concern ? Should I email PD in program A that I actually changed my ROL last minute. Oh boy, I am so screwed....

Your first mistake was not ranking based on where you truly wanted to go. Your second mistake was telling a program they were your #1 when you weren't 100% sure. Your third mistake is actually letting it bother you now. It's too late now...I'd just drop it.

Your first mistake was not ranking based on where you truly wanted to go. Your second mistake was telling a program they were your #1 when you weren't 100% sure. Your third mistake is actually letting it bother you now. It's too late now...I'd just drop it.

Medicine is a small field especially for the specialty I am applying right now. PD tends to communicate to each others. I am afraid if I really match at program B, the PD will tell the other PD that I lied to them. I am losing my integrity even before I start my training.

It's really not that big a deal dude. Seriously, I doubt this will ever affect you in the least. The dude was prolly lying to you anyway and you'll end up matching at #3.

Medicine is a small field especially for the specialty I am applying right now. PD tends to communicate to each others. I am afraid if I really match at program B, the PD will tell the other PD that I lied to them. I am losing my integrity even before I start my training.
You burned your bridge at that program. Unless there's only 2 programs in your chosen specialty, I reckon you're fine.

It's really not that big a deal dude. Seriously, I doubt this will ever affect you in the least. The dude was prolly lying to you anyway and you'll end up matching at #3.

Well that's another possibility, I hate playing this "game"....

You burned your bridge at that program. Unless there's only 2 programs in your chosen specialty, I reckon you're fine.

That's true. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bridge burnt into ash ? Will sending an email to the PD explaining the situation help ?

That's true. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bridge burnt into ash ? Will sending an email to the PD explaining the situation help ?
I wouldn't do anything more. Just let it go. It'll likely be forgotten by you and the program director in due time. You aren't the first and won't be the last to have gotten in this situation.

Somebody else may have sent them an interest e-mail and they may have done the same thing to you.

Why did you even bother telling program A you were ranking them #1 if they'd already told you you were #1? Did you think they'd raise you to #1 (gold star)?

Why did you even bother telling program A you were ranking them #1 if they'd already told you you were #1? Did you think they'd raise you to #1 (gold star)?

I just felt insecure, there was a possibility that they would change the ROL last minute. Again it was not my intention to lie....but yeah I did lie eventually :(. Nothing I can do now...

Man u guys are like a bunch of little pansies ffs... Med schools really need to raise the bar.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with sending multiple "#1 rank" emails. You guys say that afterwards PDs might talk (which I doubt). But don't PDs change their ROLs at the last minute? And they admit it. What if I changed my mind at the last minute after sending the email? Nobody have the evidence or the right to call you a liar.

I see nothing wrong with sending multiple "#1 rank" emails. You guys say that afterwards PDs might talk (which I doubt). But don't PDs change their ROLs at the last minute? And they admit it. What if I changed my mind at the last minute after sending the email? Nobody have the evidence or the right to call you a liar.

You're arguing that you won't get caught. Not that there's nothing wrong :lame:

And I can assure you based on what I've heard that PDs definitely talk to each other. Maybe not all of them or about every applicant, but sometimes.

Without getting into a lengthy talk on philosophy, since when do rational adults use the "you won't get caught" argument to do something clearly dishonest. Tell the true number one they are your number one. The end.

And when PDs share confidential emails, isn't that unethical? No PD should go on telling others about what I told him. Second, I'm not cheating or doing something dishonest. I am just improving my chances.

And when PDs share confidential emails, isn't that unethical? No PD should go on telling others about what I told him. Second, I'm not cheating or doing something dishonest. I am just improving my chances.

Lol. You're funny :)

I think the main issue comes when you have an attending, PD or chairman at your current program vouch for you and make calls to your number 1. I have heard a few stories of people who played this game and sent a couple of number 1 emails to a few programs. They also had people make calls as well to a program they said was their number one, but the applicant did not rank them first.

Come match day the chairman/attendings heard back from this program asking why this applicant didn't match with them.

You're approach will likely improve your chances if you don't get caught. It's sleazy but the match process and medical training in general is this way so it just breeds more of it in the applicants.

Those PDs have no heart! (not all of them actually). They lie all the time, telling applicants they will rank them highly but they don't, so that applicants would rank them highly. It's a dirty game, and I think we should play dirty too.

Those PDs have no heart! (not all of them actually). They lie all the time, telling applicants they will rank them highly but they don't, so that applicants would rank them highly. It's a dirty game, and I think we should play dirty too.
Imma guess, Gen surg?

What you are doing is, by definition, dishonest.

You and some of the other posters in this thread are hardly the only ones to do this, so you can decide for yourself whether it's "unethical" or "cheating."

What you are doing is, by definition, dishonest.

You and some of the other posters in this thread are hardly the only ones to do this, so you can decide for yourself whether it's "unethical" or "cheating."

Ill decide for him. Yup, its ****ed up.

This really depends on how much you care about future graduates at your institution. You need to realize that you are representing your med school in the match and if you pull blatantly dishonest moves like the one you are suggesting some PDs might choose not to deal with your med school in the future, may think that you were advised to do this by the administration or a faculty member or may no longer put any weight behind what the faculty or deans at your school say when making phone calls on behalf of students.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Is it popular or important to send #1 emails? At the interview day for my #1 they said something to the effect of them having the ranking done by the next day, even before people have a chance to send out thank you letters; and them believing in the integrity of the match system and not wanting to compromise it. I didn't express during my interview that it was my #1 because it was still too early in the season to know that. If they've already made up their rank order, is there any sense in telling them? Will they think I'm trying to play the match system?

These next 2 months are going to be tough

I'm planning on shooting my #1 a quick concise email in a few weeks (once I determine which program it is). Who knows if it matters... everyone seems to have a different opinion but I doubt it'll hurt.

On the other hand, reading through this thread, I'm floored by the people who think it's perfectly ok to send multiple #1 emails.

Programs get to see where everyone they ranked matched, so your deception of telling multiple programs they are #1 will be obvious. If you think there is even a glimmer of a chance you may want to apply to those programs for fellowship, why would you LIE to a program and potentially develop a reputation for being dishonest?

No you are not improving your chances. We get "you're my #1" emails/cards and ignore them. Our PC will write back saying thank you but then it's dropped. We can only rank one applicant our #1 so getting dozens of notes is irrelevant. And yes, we talk to each other. That's why you include reference letters. We will talk to your schools. While thank you notes are fine, I do wish applicants would drop the #1 emails. Guess what - we know you are probably hedging your bets so seriously, we just don't give them any extra weight when doing our rank list. Every year I see many students who "loved [our] program" and who "really hope to match" here go to other schools. We can read trends into the rank lists and Match Day just as easily as you so please - just stop with the #1 notes altogether.

No you are not improving your chances. We get "you're my #1" emails/cards and ignore them. Our PC will write back saying thank you but then it's dropped. We can only rank one applicant our #1 so getting dozens of notes is irrelevant. And yes, we talk to each other. That's why you include reference letters. We will talk to your schools. While thank you notes are fine, I do wish applicants would drop the #1 emails. Guess what - we know you are probably hedging your bets so seriously, we just don't give them any extra weight when doing our rank list. Every year I see many students who "loved [our] program" and who "really hope to match" here go to other schools. We can read trends into the rank lists and Match Day just as easily as you so please - just stop with the #1 notes altogether.

What do you talk to our schools about?

What was said in your letters, both good and bad. Sometimes it's hard to interpret how a comment was phrased and it's best to call and confirm what that faculty was trying to say. Why you were honors at one school and only a pass at another - that sort of thing. And yes, towards the end of interview season, calls get made to talk about candidates and ranking so it's bound to come up if you're playing any type of game. It's just best not to. I don't want someone to call me to ask about you and mention you wrote him/her the nicest #1 email when I just read the exact same email yesterday. That kind of thing can get you bumped down, not up.

What was said in your letters, both good and bad. Sometimes it's hard to interpret how a comment was phrased and it's best to call and confirm what that faculty was trying to say. Why you were honors at one school and only a pass at another - that sort of thing. And yes, towards the end of interview season, calls get made to talk about candidates and ranking so it's bound to come up if you're playing any type of game. It's just best not to. I don't want someone to call me to ask about you and mention you wrote him/her the nicest #1 email when I just read the exact same email yesterday. That kind of thing can get you bumped down, not up.

I just want to be clear here:

1. I am assuming you are in EM based on your name, a relatively large field compared to the smaller surgical fields for example.

2. You call our schools/LOR writers and get confirmation on questions you might have... sounds reasonable and expected when necessary. I don't see why a student would have an issue with that.

3. My main question: you call another PD at a different program (or vise versa) that is not our home school/program/home PD and discuss the candidates each of your programs has interviewed and your respective rank lists as well as "I'm ranking you #1 emails"? And you are in EM, a large field with a lot of applicants and programs... Really? You guys do this?

note: I'm only going to send one "I'm ranking you #1 email" for what it's worth. I'm just curious as to what goes on with programs...

3. My main question: you call another PD at a different program (or vise versa) that is not our home school/program/home PD and discuss the candidates each of your programs has interviewed and your respective rank lists as well as "I'm ranking you #1 emails"? And you are in EM, a large field with a lot of applicants and programs... Really? You guys do this?

I read the first part of your question as they would call up a place you did an away rotation at and discuss your performance (ie why you were honors at one school and pass at another), not other places you have interviewed--how would they know where you interviewed anyways? And I read the second part of your question as them saying it sucks when ANOTHER PD calls them and asks about one of the students from their institution mentioning how they said "I'm ranking you number 1" when that student had already said that to their home institution as well.

Every year I see many students who "loved [our] program" and who "really hope to match" here go to other schools. We can read trends into the rank lists and Match Day just as easily as you so please - just stop with the #1 notes altogether.

I don't understand the degree of hostility here. I'm not going to send a slew of programs #1 letters, but of course people are going to be singing praises (again, not #1s) to multiple programs. The match really doesn't put any less pressure on us than it does on you. We have no idea if we'll actually be matching at our #1 choices, and we likely had several programs that we were impressed with. In other words, don't hate the player...hate the game.

I asked this in a similar thread but I figure I may as well throw a curveball:
Should you have intent to rank a program number 1, express interest, have interest expressed your way, and then have a major life event unexpectedly (ie pregnancy, death in immediate family), is it ok to then express interest in ranking a different program number 1? If so, should a courtesy email be sent to the first explaining said life event? Or last option... Rank what you want, where you want, without sending any new emails and see what happens?

I asked this in a similar thread but I figure I may as well throw a curveball:
Should you have intent to rank a program number 1, express interest, have interest expressed your way, and then have a major life event unexpectedly (ie pregnancy, death in immediate family), is it ok to then express interest in ranking a different program number 1?

I think it's OK to do that without a courtesy email. You can send the courtesy email after Match Day if necessary. If you send the courtesy email earlier and then end up matching at that program anyway, it might be a bit uncomfortable. And you're not really influencing the PD much by sending a #1 email... and even if you were, the courtesy email wouldn't really affect their rank list... and even if it did, it wouldn't affect the list of people that end up matching there...

Published in December in Academic Medicine:

Abstract:
Purpose: To examine the frequency and nature of postinterview communications between programs and applicants during the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) Main Residency Match.

Method: The authors surveyed senior medical students at seven U.S. medical schools about postinterview communications with residency programs during the 2010 Match and analyzed the data.

Results: The response rate was 68.2% (564/827). Among respondents, 86.4% reported communicating with residency programs. Most (59.9%) reported telling more than one program they would rank it highly; 1.1% reported telling more than one they would rank it first. Students reported that programs told them they would be "ranked to match" (34.6%), be "ranked highly" (52.8%), or "fit well" (76.2%). Almost one-fifth (18.6 %) reported feeling assured by a program that they would match there but did not despite ranking that program first; 23.4% reported altering their rank order list based on communications with programs. In multivariate analysis, applicants to more competitive specialties were less likely to report being told they would be "ranked to match" (relative risk [RR] 0.72, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.52–0.99). Applicants were more likely to report being told that they would be "ranked to match" if they received honors in the specialty clerkship (RR 1.39, 95% CI 1.10–1.77) or were members of Alpha Omega Alpha (RR 1.72, 95% CI 1.37–2.17).

Conclusions: Reports of nonbinding communications with programs were frequent. Students should be advised to interpret any comments made by programs cautiously. Reported violations of the NRMP's Match Participation Agreement were uncommon.

Full text article (free): http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...revalence_and_Nature_of_Postinterview.32.aspx

I suspect that the people who are doing unethical things (i.e. telling more than one program that they're #1) are probably underreporting.

How many people are planning on actually sending a "you are my #1" email? This is something I had not planned on doing because I didn't think it would matter to the more competitive programs, but I guess it is something I need to consider doing if everyone else is doing it.

Last edited:
How many people are planning on actually sending a "you are my #1" email? This is something I had not planned on doing because I didn't think it would matter to the more competitive programs, but I guess it is something I need to consider doing if everyone else is doing it.

I'll do it when I make a final decision. I don't think it'll affect their ranking, but I'll tell them because I'd like to know if a program was ranking me to match, so I figure they probably like to know if a person is ranking them #1. I just see it as a good way to start a relationship with the program/PD.