what to do over the summer prior to attending pharmacy school!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddharat21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, what should we do the summer prior to attending pharmacy school? Should we start studying ahead of time, should we review physiology and anatomy, or should we just relax and enjoy our summer? hmm...I just wanted to know also, who is going to USC for sure this incoming fall? I want to meet my future classmates, we will be seeing each others for the next four years. HOW FUN. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax. I promise. I took a month off to move from MI to AZ and get settled. I still have fond memories of having FREE TIME. :)

Hehe...Relax eh? So I am guessing that you are currently doing well in pharmacy school. I guess i will relax then, however, if do poorly, you'll surely hear from me. jp hehe :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I will also be attending USC!! I was actually wondering if there was anything we should study ahead of time, too! I guess this Summer we can relax . . . I'm sure we will have plenty of things to study these next four years.:p

Relax, for pity's sake. There will be plenty of time for studying later.

Enjoy it while you can!!!

(I'm a P1)

I'm starting in the fall too and I plan on taking it very easy this summer! The next 4 yrs of our lives are going to be tough, so we should relax while we can. :)

I am going to work as a Graduate Intern for the state park!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Also, while working I will study Biochemistry. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hello future classmates!

I'll see you at orientation :) I wonder when we'll be getting housing and financial aid info.... I'd like to know where I'll be calling home for the next year and how the heck I'm going to pay for the fine USC education that we are all looking forward to...!

As for this summer, I'll be working my current job at a pharmacy. I think it's really prepared me well for pharmacy school... and working at a pharmacy really keeps you up-to-date on a lot of current issues, drugs, regulations, etc.

But otherwise, I'm hoping to just relax and have some fun!

If you're really bored and want to get a head start, I would start memorizing brand/generic names for common drugs.

It is good to hear from you, Sukie and lr-pharm. I guess I will be seeing you guys in the fall eh? It would be fun if we could meet before school starts and build our own little network of friends. hehe Hey lr-pharm, you are currently attending UCSD right? I have a lot of friends who are there right now. I wondered if you know them..hehe Anyway, congrats.

Get a job in a pharmacy.

Stop in to the Dean's office and introduce yourself (again).

Sleep in, play Playstation, and get thrown out of bars.

You're gonna get blasted in your first semester w/studies, extrac-currics, and rotation at sc so anything you can do to make that less difficult would be helpful. If you can spend a little time on the top 200 movers that's great. Keep stats in your head bc you'll need them for 2nd semester (t-tests, ANOVA, chi square, how to extrapolate from tables) Not having to study this stuff saved my **** in my biostats quiz yesterday.

Take a look thru your physiology books and review big picture ideas relating to clinical aspects of drug therapy eg. get a feel for how PPIs, diuretics, b-blockers work. I'm not saying start cramming in june, i'm saying when you take a party-break pick up a package insert from a popular rx and see if you can figure out how it works.

If you're one of those types who studied all the time, you gotta wean yourself of that. Pharmacy school rewards those who get out and active. I am fully, painfully, and constanlty aware that if you get a 'D' you're out, but you've gotta find ways of succeeding with your gpa while building your experiences. With tha in mind, GET ORGANIZED
If you need to buy a palm or just an organizer, get one and start teaching yourself how to use them to stay on top of deadlines and events. There will be time, if you know what you've got coming and plan accordingly. SC has this businessy bent to it that rewards those who can keep up w/hella different things.

We were tested on the top 100 in our first semester of pharm practice w/Dr. Baron. The second 100 movers was 2nd semester of the same course.

If you can find a 'perfect balance' that's gravy. Just finding a balance should be more than enough though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of organizers, I'm thinking of investing in one of those PDAs... anyone have a preference (palm vs. pocket pc)... or a recommendation?

Hey, buddharat and lr_pharm... are you guys going to the welcome thing in April?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to that welcomming event . . . I'm hoping they'll help us with things like housing, parking, and all that fun stuff! :p I wonder if this is when they will be having our "White Coat ceremony." :confused: I guess we'll find out . . . see you all there . . . I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! ;)

just relax buddharat21!
u'll be chillin' with me this summer! :p

Originally posted by lr_pharm
Yeah, I'm definitely going to that welcomming event . . . I'm hoping they'll help us with things like housing, parking, and all that fun stuff! :p I wonder if this is when they will be having our "White Coat ceremony." :confused: I guess we'll find out . . . see you all there . . . I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! ;)

The White Coat Ceremony isn't until August, on the last day of your orientation week. I'm not sure what the welcome event is, considering I didn't attend the one for my class ;) Maybe Tri or BMB know....

Yeah, I was looking forward to meeting everyone at the welcoming program, but then I realized that I'm scheduled for work until 9 pm that day. What goes on at the welcoming event? Is it worth finding a replacement to cover my shift?

Originally posted by Sukie
Yeah, I was looking forward to meeting everyone at the welcoming program, but then I realized that I'm scheduled for work until 9 pm that day. What goes on at the welcoming event? Is it worth finding a replacement to cover my shift?

YES because orientation, although boring, is the time when people meet and form groups. It is like high school all over again. :laugh:

We are having a welcome event to get a chance to meet all the other incoming students in April too. I'm looking forward to it because I think it will be a great time to meet potential roommates and just to learn more about what to expect in August.

A few days before school starts I think we have the orientation and the White Coat Ceremony.. what is that anyway? :laugh:

Originally posted by buddharat21
It is good to hear from you, Sukie and lr-pharm. I guess I will be seeing you guys in the fall eh? It would be fun if we could meet before school starts and build our own little network of friends.

Congrats Buddharat! I have talked to Sukie about another SDN-USC Pharmacy Social before we all start school. Would you like to join us?! lr-pharm, you are invited too! Everyone is invited! :clap:

Hey BMBiology...thanks for inviting me. That sounds fun, keep me updated about the social event.

Amicakes...of course I will be kicking it with you over the summer. What else would I freaking do? Anyway, shouldn't you be studying for finals. Slackers!!!

uh.......fish,camping,fish,beach,six flags,white water,fish,hang out with friends and fish, I guess that is about it, oh and fish

Hi,

When is the welcome day for usc? Did the school send out info about it? I did not receive any info on that beside the orientation which is at the end of august? by the way, i received letter to reserve for parking permit at sc. gosh, $375 per semester that is how much i'm currently paying for the whole year at ucsd.

by the way, when is the 200 drugs list will be send out? not that i'm eager to get started or anything...hehe.

We had to know these for first and second year in lab (community and hospital) and were required to purchase binders containing drug cards with all the relavent information about these drugs (both regular drugs and IV drugs - you can also find a set for OTCs). You could find out of your school requires them and purchase them ahead of time if you really feel the need to get a head start on this.

But again I say - R-E-L-A-X people! You'll have plenty to stress about in a few short months!

I would love to join your "social" . . . just let me know when and where. :)

Hi hnguyen,

It's nice to hear from another classmate. The welcome reception is on April 7th. You should be getting more info about it soon. I got the letter just this last weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting you there!

I'm NOT, however, looking forward to all those vaccinations... and I don't even have any health insurance. Does anyone know if we have to pay out-of-pocket for those shots, or if we are covered under the school insurance? I have a feeling we won't start getting coverage until classes actually start. And since we have to get those vaccinations in by August 1st, we have to figure out a way to pay for them on our own? Any suggestions for someone without insurance?

Originally posted by hnguyen
Hi,

When is the welcome day for usc? Did the school send out info about it?

hey, you are also invited to our little social. Join us!! Everyone is invited!

I'm NOT, however, looking forward to all those vaccinations... and I don't even have any health insurance. Does anyone know if we have to pay out-of-pocket for those shots, or if we are covered under the school insurance? I have a feeling we won't start getting coverage until classes actually start. And since we have to get those vaccinations in by August 1st, we have to figure out a way to pay for them on our own? Any suggestions for someone without insurance?

I am in the process of getting my updated vaccinations, fortunately my insurance is covering the bulk of it. I didnt know if they'd cover it, so I called around and it seems that the state health departments give quite a few vaccinations for free or if not free, really cheap. Check with them.

I had to pay for all my shots/titers when I started school. The shots were cheap, the quantitative titers were not. I think it was about $350 for everything.. still not too bad.

Hi BMBiology,

When is your get together gathering? Thank you for inviting me to the event. By the way, I mailed my housing application today. what are the chance of first year getting a single room?

Sukie, is the welcome event letter comes with the housing application? i got the housing and vaccination stuff but not the info on the other.

looking forward on getting to know everyone. gotta study for my very very last final at ucsd now.

bye,
hnguyen

hnguyen,

The welcome event invitation letter came separately in a white envelope.

You got your housing application already??? I only got the vaccinations packet and the parking flyer. I don't want to get stuck without housing. I better call the admissions office....

Oh, and the housing office said there is no chance of first year students getting a single room in Seaver. There are just too many people on the waitlist.

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I had to pay for all my shots/titers when I started school. The shots were cheap, the quantitative titers were not. I think it was about $350 for everything.. still not too bad.

$350!! Sounds like a lot to me.... but then again, I've never had titers done. Can I get everything done on the same day?

Sukie,

the housing application is in the housing booklet comes with the parking flyer and the vaccination paper in a thick yellow envelope. i would like to get a single room, any where close to sc is fine with me. however, i will look for an off- campus apartment some where close to sc ... if it is cheaper than on campus housing.

$350!! Sounds like a lot to me.... but then again, I've never had titers done. Can I get everything done on the same day?

I guess it depends on what your school requires... For the Hep B series, you have to get 3 different shots. I think the second shot is after 1 month and the 3rd shot is after 4months. I just got my second one today, yikes do they hurt!

I had to get updated tetanus, my second MMR (since I only had it once as a kid), hepatitis and meningitis (if living in the dorm). My dr's office doesnt carry the meningitis vaccine, so I need to call around and try to find it. I'm thinking if all else fails I can probably get it on campus once school starts.

Anyway, about getting them all on the same day.. I think your arms would be really sore, I'd space them out, but then again I'm a chicken when it comes to needles.

Sukie-all the vaccinations could be pretty expensive. I know the meningitis shot is 95 dollars and I don't think insurance convers this. The tiders are not too bad, I think you could get it done for around 50 dollars (I am not sure though). My friend had it done at a health clinic and it was around 50 dollars. I get charged 17 dollars at the Ashe Center, but then I have insurance with the school, so I don't really know how much it costs elsewhere. Hi hnguyen, is your last name Nguyen? If it is, we have the same last name (how cool). Congrats and I am looking forward to meeting you on April 7. Everyone is going right?

buddharat21, u big nerd. jp :p
shouldn't u be studying for finals too? o wait u're sitting right next to me..my bad

Originally posted by buddharat21
Hi hnguyen, is your last name Nguyen? If it is, we have the same last name (how cool).

USC School of Pharmacy Class of 2007 has 12 Nguyens hehe. Hey one of them might be your long distant cousin? hehe