What to do?? MPH? MS? MBS? improve ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mmeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advices on what to do.

Here's my stats to start it off:
graduated from UC (but not in-state anywhere anymore haha... :oops: )
cGPA 3.74 (sGPA about the same and the lowest grade I received was B, overall upward trend)
MCAT 31 (BS10 VR9 PS12)
Clinical Experience: 2 weeks of shadowing and 200 hrs of volunteering at a hospital (OUTSIDE OF U.S.)
Research: - One published article in Physical Chemistry during high school (thru summer program)
- About 12 weeks of experience (summer) in working in a pathology lab
LORs: probably not particularly hurting or helping my app (professors barely know me :( )

I applied really late last cycle (submitted my primary on September 15th and ended up not finishing secondaries for most of the schools). And everything got pushed back as I applied late. I also graduated on September. So, it was towards the end of November that I decided to reapply.

The problem is that I had to move to NJ two months ago due to family matters and now I'm in NJ with no information whatsoever where to start. I have been applying to various places to work in a lab but not hearing back anything yet. I also tried to volunteer at local hospitals but the earliest interview date available for volunteering is on May, which would be useless considering I'm trying to apply early this cycle.

Now I'm being laid off and have nothing to do I was thinking about going back to school. MPH or MS or MBS (in Rutgers) are my considerations. Since MBS is a one year program, I would be able to apply to med schools this cycle but it wouldn't be much help on my app since the curriculum starts on August and I'm applying for med schools on June. It might help a little during interview season (around Sept) maybe.. but I'm not sure.
OR would it be better to wait until 2015 and get MPH or MS. (this would improve my LORs and other ECs probably since I have more time)
OR just do whatever I can do during remaining 5 months (not sure if I can get a job or much clinical experience :( ) and apply really early?

Thanks for reading my long post I'd reallyy appreciate your advice! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say apply extremely early with your stats, and maybe do a one year program or work during the application year. Your stats are competitive and I believe you would have gotten in if you sent your app in early and all your secondaries. It would be a waist to wait so long to apply again.

I agree with the previous post about applying early, you have great stats. Finding better faculty to write you LORs would be helpful, although I know it might be pretty difficult to change that now. Getting more clinical experience would benefit you, too.

Good luck!

Concur. Your numbers are strong. Get a job and work for year, saving up some money is always good. Continue with ECs that demonstrate your altruism.

Apply June 1!

I would say apply extremely early with your stats, and maybe do a one year program or work during the application year. Your stats are competitive and I believe you would have gotten in if you sent your app in early and all your secondaries. It would be a waist to wait so long to apply again.