What to do if you do not match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that fellowship applications are pushed back to third year we do not have a second chance to apply before finishing residency. What is a good alternative to do before reapplying?

People always rattle of research but there has to be other things to do because I need to make money.

Members don't see this ad.

you can certainly take up a hospitalist position at any nearby city. You can make a lot of money and say you're getting experience during your next cycle. Some people have actually done this in place of a research year when they didn't get fellowships.
Also, you can see if you can get some ER shifts at hospitals based on what you can do. I know one IM candidate who did a research year along w/ ER shifts to get some money.
Third option is to look for medical consulting jobs. These are usually hard to find and competitive but depending on your credentials that may be an option where you can still make decent money.

When I say I need to make money, I mean that I cannot live for a year with no income. I do not need to make alot of money. If it comes to that, I'll see what I can get for ER shifts. I am on my fourth third research project and I did some other things in the cardiology department.\\:xf: