What to do from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yummyinmytummy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd like to get some feedback on what people here believe would be the best course of action from my current situation. First off, some info:

• Graduated 2 years ago from top 15 school with BS in Chemistry (with Conc. in Biochem) and minor in Physics, Summa Cum Laude
  • Country/state of residence: Georgia, for the past year (I'll get to that)
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.89
  • Science GPA: 3.86 I believe?
  • MCAT Score: 31 first time (12 PS, 10 VR, 09 BS) and 34 ((12, 11, 11) amcas says that puts me at 94%), most recent one being 01/25/14
  • Research: This is the tricky part. Research during school year and summers, one SURF award at one lab and research presented at an Undergrad Symposium. When I graduated, I stayed a year to do more research but with a different lab, as I wanted to explore other research interests. Sadly, for all the time I spent in the first lab, I can only say I have the one SURF to show for it. Spent summer after graduating working part-time in 2 different labs. Committed to one lab after 2 months but received an outstanding rec letter from the other (I also TA'ed for that professor). Spent a year in that lab, research presented on a poster at a conference and a manuscript is being written for another project I worked on (for which I will be listed as an author). I received word from the postdoc I worked with that our work is going into clinical trials soon (yay!). Also received outstanding rec letter from this lab, as they really appreciated my help.
  • Volunteering (clinical): Volunteered for one academic year and one summer at a children's hospital (total ~100 hours)
  • Physician shadowing: 30 hours through school premed class program (shadowed in ER)
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Too many to list but they total over 800 hours
  • Extracurricular activities: School pop orchestra, sunday school teacher, TA, President of Society of Physics Students, a few other leadership positions, etc.
  • Employment history: TA'ed for 2 classes (twice for one of those), research technician
  • Immediate family members in medicine?: None
  • Specialty of interest: Radiopharmaceuticals, radiochemistry, nuclear medicine
  • Awards: Summa cum Laude, departmental award in physical chemistry, full ride to my university for all 4 years (although it was mostly financial aid in the form of grants), an endowed scholarship, dean's list all 4 years
So I applied the summer after senior year, totally bombed it and got apps in waaaaaaayyyy too late. So, I will be a reapplicant, but thankfully not to the majority of schools I am choosing this time around (did the classic arrogant premed ivy school list first time around). Did research for year after graduating, and then last August, I moved back to my home to help my mother with her small business (retail store) and because my PI moved to another institution. Personal circumstances and problems led to me and my mother being the sole workers of the store (and a retail store gets busy). So as much as I wanted to have some time volunteering and shadowing, my presence at the store meant ~12 hour work days/6 days a week and 6 hours on Sundays. So, to summarize, my app's biggest weaknesses is currently lack of volunteering and clinical experiences after graduating and no publications (how big of an impact do you think this will have?).

As the store is now getting on its feet, I figure it's now time to start looking for another research position and move forward with my future career. I am also planning to get back into volunteering in the hospital setting as soon as my job is set.

What do you guys think,
1. Do I have a chance this cycle (I really hope so because it's the last cycle my MCAT will be valid)?
2. What can I do NOW to improve my chances?

Also this is related to my employment for the coming year, but I would really appreciate some input here.
Owing to my most recent research experience, I really believe I would like to study radiochemistry and its biochemical applications in vitro and in vivo. However, it seems difficult to find any open positions that's willing to hire me in such a narrow field. So, do you think I should find just any job, or any research job, or keep looking for the job in the field I'd like to study for my PhD?

As for schools I plan to apply to, I'm thinking I will mostly focus on schools that have the resources and programs for Radiochemistry/nuclear medicine, as per my research interests.
They include
  • Emory, UWisconsin, VCU, UCLA, UCSD, UAlabama, NYU, Stanford (just throwing this one out there), UT Southwestern, UWashington, Washington U (I guess I could mention without giving too much personal detail that this is my alma mater). I will being continuing to add schools to this list (of course, shooting for at least 15, as per my amcas fee assistance program benefit gives me) If anyone has any recommendation for where else I should consider, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your time!
-Hopefully future physician scientist

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just came here to say, kudos for getting a 3.89 from WashU. I'd have a hard time believing you wouldn't get an acceptance, as long as you apply early this time around.