What to do before i go off to college.

Funkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in high school in Wyoming; i am looking to see what will help in the long run to get into med school. Right now i don't have tons of options here i work full time when i'm not in school to pay for car and insurance and other expenses. Now i am wondering what can i do to help my chances such as getting to shadow doctors if i can and what not. Also my parents would like me to go to a community college in town for 2 year then transfer to a university of Wyoming most likely is this a good idea or bad idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior in high school in Wyoming; i am looking to see what will help in the long run to get into med school. Right now i don't have tons of options here i work full time when i'm not in school to pay for car and insurance and other expenses. Now i am wondering what can i do to help my chances such as getting to shadow doctors if i can and what not. Also my parents would like me to go to a community college in town for 2 year then transfer to a university of Wyoming most likely is this a good idea or bad idea.

You can shadow a doctor at any time, there is no pre-req or anything for it. Just call up a local hospital and tell them you're interested in shadowing.

As for the CC idea, it saves money but I wouldn't recommend it. Don't jump the gun though, you may get good financial aid/scholarships from schools and not need to do that option at all.

These sorts of questions are fairly common around here, so (if you haven't already) you should definitely look through some of the threads on here. Hopefully someone will come along and give you a good answer in this thread as well.

As far as community colleges, you should of course wait and see where you get in and what sort of financial aid packages you get. If possible, I wouldn't go the cc route, but sometimes circumstances force you to go this way, and that is understandable. In the long run, it definitely won't hurt you... plenty of people have gotten into med schools by means of a cc first.

Volunteering should be a fairly good option for you.