Medical What Texas schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should an ORM Texas resident's school list look like if they have decent stats, i.e. 3.7-3.9 GPA and 514-517 MCAT? Is just applying to the MD TMDSAS schools sufficient, or should they definitely apply OOS and/or DO as well? How many total schools is a good number to shoot for?
There are plenty of schools of varying levels of competitiveness in texas, so if you think you would stay in texas over going to a mid tier OOS school (a common conclusion given the cost in state) then there’s very little yield in applying elsewhere. Obviously you can do BCM on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

How much risk you wanna take? Your chances are good at getting into a TX program but you would have a better shot at getting accepted applying to OOS and then DO schools. It’s a balance between risk and your wallet.

How much risk you wanna take? Your chances are good at getting into a TX program but you would have a better shot at getting accepted applying to OOS and then DO schools. It’s a balance between risk and your wallet.
I do agree, there is some sense in doing the in state DO schools.

the “lower tier” in state schools aren’t that competitive, so honestly if he isn’t able to get into one of those then I feel like that speaks to some fundamental problem with his app that needs to be addressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those your actual stats? Or just projected?

If the latter, come back with final stats, including MCAST score, and then we can advise.

For MD, chances are best with the TX schools.

I do agree, there is some sense in doing the in state DO schools.

the “lower tier” in state schools aren’t that competitive, so honestly if he isn’t able to get into one of those then I feel like that speaks to some fundamental problem with his app that needs to be addressed.
Do agree his chances are best with Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.