What tasks are students allowed to perform?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fingercrossing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I was hoping to find out what tasks students are allowed to perform after their 1st year of vet school. I am in Virginia and have tried looking at the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine page, but it isn't very clear. I just wanted to know what kind of experience was "legal" for me to get this summer.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how enforced these are but here is the VA code governing students. Your correct not very specific, but if you call the board they are very nice and can give you details.

18VAC150-20-130. Requirements for practical training in a preceptorship.

A. The practical training and employment of qualified students of veterinary medicine or veterinary technology shall be governed and controlled as follows:
1. No student shall be qualified to receive practical training unless such student shall be duly enrolled and in good standing in a veterinary college or school or veterinary technology program accredited or approved by the AVMA and in the final year of his training or after completion of an equivalent number of hours as approved by the board. The student shall be engaged in a preceptorship as defined by the board and authorized by his college or school.
2. A veterinary preceptee may perform duties that constitute the practice of veterinary medicine under the on-premises supervision of a licensed veterinarian.
3. A veterinary technician preceptee may perform duties that constitute the practice of veterinary technology under the on-premises supervision of a licensed veterinarian or licensed veterinary technician.

B. Prior to allowing a preceptee in veterinary medicine to perform surgery on a patient unassisted by a licensed veterinarian, a licensed veterinarian shall receive written approval from the client.

http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/vet/leg/Vet%20Med%2011-29-07.doc

I believe those guidelines are referring to vet students in their fourth (clinical) year and LVT students in their final year. We talked about it in ethics class....seems some vets used to have a habit of leaving the clinic with only the fourth-year preceptor student around to "practice veterinary medicine." In this case, "practicing veterinary medicine" refers to diagnosing, treating, performing sx, etc....so this info really doesn't apply for folks after the first year. Hmmm. And yet I'm willing to bet that it's the only thing the VA practice act said about students! :)

Over winter break my first year, I was placing IV catheters, intubating, drawing blood, etc--but then, I had been doing these things for years anyway. However, this was with a speciailist who a) I hadn't worked with before, and b) was a real stickler for the rules, so I don't know...

I have no idea if this helps or not. :)