Q? for MSU students/alumni

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerchuffs

Reaction score
Hi y’all!
I’m an admitted student for fall at Michigan State. Has anyone heard of anyone deferring their admission 1 year? I have a potential medical issue that could put me out during my first year for up to 3 months, depending on the situation/procedure in the Spring semester. I wasn’t sure if deferral for medical issues was something MSU has granted in the past, or if I need to be out during Spring semester, how that would affect things for the following years. I could delay the procedure until after school, but the sooner the better according to my MD. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Best bet is to contact the school directly since they’d be the ones granting it. Most schools should be pretty understanding about medical deferrals. I’d give them a call today and talk with them.

Reactions: 1 user
We have someone in our class that did first year with 2021, deferred a year for medical and then joined us for second year. We also had a classmate bump down to 2023 so that made the spot for her available. Just so you know, there is no way to do less than one year deferral in our program until spring of 3rd year when clinics start in match. Didactic classes are only held once a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That absolutely makes sense! I just wanted to see if it was feasible before bothering admissions dept with it. I also worried that they might rescind my offer if they heard I was deferring (IDK why I think this…a little bit of PTSD from a former boss I guess!!).

We have someone in our class that did first year with 2021, deferred a year for medical and then joined us for second year. We also had a classmate bump down to 2023 so that made the spot for her available. Just so you know, there is no way to do less than one year deferral in our program until spring of 3rd year when clinics start in match. Didactic classes are only held once a year.
Thank you so much!