What should non-CSD majors add to their resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureEarDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not majoring in communication sciences and disorders. I'm too far into my psychology degree to change majors now. I have researched different careers and I definitely want to pursue the Au.D. So, what can I do to add to my resume to make my application to Au.D programs shine? Please be specific and help a girl out! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not majoring in communication sciences and disorders. I'm too far into my psychology degree to change majors now. I have researched different careers and I definitely want to pursue the Au.D. So, what can I do to add to my resume to make my application to Au.D programs shine? Please be specific and help a girl out! Thanks!

Volunteering with an audiology department or shadowing an audiologist for a long amount of time can help a lot! They want to see that you are serious about pursuing the AuD. It would also help to take physics and anatomy! Hope this helps! Also you may want to join NSSLHA (National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association) and possibly build a rapport with the speech & audiology department.

Hope this helps!

Most programs require at least some CSD classes in undergrad, even if it's not your major - things like Principles of Audiology, Speech/Communication Development in Children, Clinical Audiology, etc. (the course names vary at difference schools) so that everyone's on the same page when they start their Au.D program. Also, if you take these classes and do well in them, then having those professors write strong letters of recommendation will really speak to your abilities to succeed as an audiology student.
Other resume-boosters include working with special needs children (I know things like autism therapy look fantastic and you can use it a lot in your personal statement), research, audiologist shadowing, and volunteering. As mentioned above, NSSHLA's great in terms of giving you information by having local audiologists and SLPs speak to the organization and providing volunteer opportunities like Cochlear Kids Day and the like.
Hope this helps!

I was recently accepted to an Au.D. program and I was also not a CSD major. I am not even a traditional major. My major was Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in Life/Biomedical Sciences and Health, and minors is Aging Studies and Health Sciences. So not even related to CSD at all.

I believe my saving grace for grad schools was my work experience as an infant hearing screening technician. However, I wanted to let you know about some of the criteria for ASHA certification that was brought to my attention upon acceptance:

1. 25 hours of observation (you may want to talk to an advisor in CSD to let you know how/where you can legitimately complete this)
2. a normal language development
3. ASL (1 semester)
4. 3 crerdits each of non-remedial math, physical sciences, biological sciences and social sciences (which I'm sure you achieved in your undergrad coursework)

Hope this helps!