Non-traditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chepo15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Long-time lurker, first time posting.

Sorry for posting another admissions thread - I realize that plenty of admissions questions/threads have been posted; I'm just looking for more specific advice.

I'm a non-traditional student: I didn't major in COMD. I graduated from a University of California campus a couple of years ago, majoring in history and literature. I graduated with a cumulative gpa of 3.66.

My career goal at the time was to teach special education. While applying to a teaching credential program, I took a job as an assistant for a school-based SLP. I was on the job that entire school year, and I learned a lot about the COMD field and SLP profession. So much so that I decided to pursue a career in comm. disorders.

The following year, I took a full-time SLP position in the same school district through a state-issued waiver - rural California was in such desperate need for SLPs that at the time, that the state was issuing waivers to just about anyone.

After two years working in the field, successfully managing a caseload of 60-70 students (providing therapy as best I could given my lack of experience in the field, scheduling/attending over 100 IEPS, report writing, collaborating with other service providers - other SLPs, psychologists, audiologists, OTs, APs, teachers, administrators, nurses, and parents), and a few COMD classes under my belt, I've realized that audiology is a better fit for me than SLP.

I'm still studying for the GRE and working on getting more observation hours done before applications are due.

Essentially...with
-an undergrad GPA of a 3.66
-two years working in speech-related work, including work with students with hard-of-hearing needs
-decent amount of observation hours
-a GRE of at least 300
-Fluent in Spanish - I frequently translated at IEP meetings and speech reports.

do I have a shot at being admitted to any programs??? Needless to say I'll only be applying to programs that don't require prerequisites (I've already narrowed those down to 25).

Thanks for the advice,
Chepo15

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your GPA and GRE score, I think you definitely have a shot at getting in an audiology program. I would definitely look at the prerequisite courses for each school you're interested in and see what courses you need to complete prior to applying. Like nearly all professional programs, making the grades does not guarantee you an acceptance. This is where the rest of your background information comes in. You have to make a pitch to the admissions/professors as to why you're qualified to be in their program or what you can bring to the table.

I can also empathize with your situation, because I was also a non-traditional student from UC Irvine. My major was criminology, so I had to take a couple of classes prior to applying to a couple schools. My GPA and GREs were nothing to brag about, but I managed to make it to the interview process for all the schools and made a strong case for myself. As a result, I made it into both of the programs I applied for.

I guess the take-home message is this: be sure audiology is what you really want to do and take a leap of faith with the application process. There are number of threads on this forum that speak negatively to the profession mainly because they did not know what to expect beyond the title of "doctor of audiology" upon matriculating. That said, observe and volunteer at an audiology clinic for a good amount of hours prior to deciding if it's right for you. Then gather your application materials and start researching some programs. Not all programs are created equal in terms of training and accreditation, and some are easier to get in than others. It doesn't hurt to just try your luck at a few nearby schools (UCSD/SDSU, ASU, ATSU*, UOA, UOP). The worst that can happen is that you lose ~60 bucks, but you gain some insight on what works and what doesn't. Good luck and PM me if you have any further questions.

*I chose that program

Based test link on your GPA and GRE score, I think you definitely have a shot at getting in an audiology program. I would definitely look at the prerequisite courses for each school you're interested in and see what courses you need to complete prior to applying. Like nearly all professional programs, making the grades does not guarantee you an acceptance. This is where the rest of your background information comes in. You have to make a pitch to the admissions/professors as to why you're qualified to be in their program or what you can bring to the table.

My grades are good and I work really hard but I think my past will stop me from getting accepted. I really want to get into and audiology program too next year.

Last edited:
My grades are good and I really want to get into and audiology program too next year.