What should I do to increase my chances of being accepted into top M.D./Ph.D programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marns

Reaction score
I am a rising sophomore at a state school with a top - 35 med school (think UAB or Iowa). I am at this school primarily because it is close to home, I received a full ride scholarship, and I can be a “big fish”. I am double majoring in neuroscience and biophysics with a perfect GPA (so far). I have been performing neuroscience research at my current institution’s med school since the summer before my freshman year (I am expecting to publish my first time soon). In addition, I have volunteered a descent amount at the hospital (almost 150 hours so far) and have shadowed multiple physicians. I have observed that there are very few students at my college, if any, who can compete with me on the basis of research or performance. I am also confident in my ability to score quite high on the MCAT.
My main concern is that I will have an inherent disadvantage to students at top universities with a high premed density, like JHU or WashU. Is this a valid concern? Will the good reputation of my schools med school, my research, GPA, and MCAT scores be enough? What should I do to improve my chances when applying to top ranked MSTP programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what the wise Sluox has to say on the topic (see quoted text below). Just replace "Harvard" with any other school and you're g2g!

Most of the above advice is really not helpful IMHO. Some asks you what will help you get into Harvard, you tell them 1) don't bother trying into get into Harvard 2) get a Rhode scholarship. wtf is that? Not helpful at all.

The real honest truth is that if you want to get into HST when you have nothing special going on, the only thing that would enhance your chance is relationship.

You need connections there, and the more powerful it is, the more likely it'll get you in. As to exactly how to create relationship out of thin air, there's no real recipe for it. It also involves a decent amount of risk. A lot relationship is created not because of effort or merit but because of political power play. The way in which these relationships are created can make it less likely for you to get in. It is also possible that you might have to do things that compromise your ethics. But if you are willing to do whatever it takes to get to HST, then perhaps that's something you should think about. Maybe you need to go work there, suck the deans dick while he's drunk (and I mean this figuratively, mostly) and then black mail him after. You'd be surprised how often things of this type happen. On the other hand, by doing this maneuver you might ruin your chance altogether. This is what I mean by risk.

It's also very expensive. People often retain consultants for this, and if I were in your position I would do that as well. It also takes years of preparation. Have you visited Boston yet? Have you talked to people there yet? Are you a *known* person to the HST admissions committee?

And do not for a second believe that once you arrive at HST you'd end up becoming an aerospace medicine expert. For every David Ho out there, there are dozens of mediocre rad oncs who decide to make the $$ only to discover the job market is a beast. Just being honest. That relationship building exercise is just the START of the whole rest of your life, when the importance of subject matter knowledge pales in comparison to that of relationships.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT >= 519

Keep the GPA high

Stay involved in research and be continously trying to win awards / publish your work somehow. Work for a PI who is supportive of you going for the Beckman, Goldwater, Churchill, etc. Work hard enough to earn spots at national conferences.

Like sluox mentioned, connections matter in science. Try to do at least do a summer program away at a place you would really like to go to or with someone you really want to work with.

ditto... ace MCAT, keep doing great GPA, outstanding research, and you will be seen as adding geographical representation to an Ivy type MSTP.
Apply only to MD/PhD and say so in your application. It will strength it as you are seen as having strong conviction for the career.

PM me if you need..