What should I do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, MD, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to pharmacy school. I have no experience in pharmacy whatsoever. I graduate in the summer, and I was wondering what to do. Get a job? Most likely. But where? In a hospital or in retail? As a tech? Or does it matter? What else can I do this summer?

And if by chance anyone reading this is an international student like me, can you work as a tech for your OPT? Or must you do something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!

I'd try to get a job as a tech (wherever they will hire you, honestly). It might be tough, though, if you're only planning on working for the summer. It takes a little while to get broken in to most pharmacy work environments, and a lot of places won't want to hire someone so temporarily.

I don't have any clue about how it works if you're an international student, sorry!

I'm having a tough time just finding work for the summer, whether it's in a pharmacy or not.. I've applied to half a dozen places and been interviewed for one over spring break while another one told me they weren't looking for new hires.
Looks like I may be working for a friend of a friend's moving company :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax and have fun!!!

just do what we tell everyone else to do in their summers, relax and have some fun! As far as the job, if you only want to work during the summer and not when school starts, there are going to be few if any places that will hire you. Good luck!

So would it be best if I moved to where I will be going to school in the fall, get a job as a tech and continue as an intern when school starts? Is this even possible?

Theres a ton of people that do that. I've worked at the same pharmacy since early '05 and I work ~15-20hrs/wk during school.

Yeaaahhhh if that's your definition of relaxing and having fun.

Oh well that's a whole 'nother story!

just relex...make plan 4 next

I just got accepted to pharmacy school. I have no experience in pharmacy whatsoever. I graduate in the summer, and I was wondering what to do. Get a job? Most likely. But where? In a hospital or in retail? As a tech? Or does it matter? What else can I do this summer?

And if by chance anyone reading this is an international student like me, can you work as a tech for your OPT? Or must you do something else?

Hi there, i'm international student like you too. I don't think you can work as a pharm tech for your OPT. OPT has to be your major-related. I talked to my counselor at school and that's what I was told.
Half of me wants to visit my home country this summer. It has been 4 yrs =(
Half of me wans to stay here and work to save up some money.... Dilemma

While it is great to work and make money during the summer, you may find it best to just work on relaxing and chilling out before you start the next 4 years. They will be a stressful 4 years to come.