AACP Summer Meeting...What lies will we hear this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well folks its that time of year again for pharmacy schools to meet and discuss the "future of pharmacy" at AACP. What half truths and total lies will we hear this year from Lucinda Maine. This is some of the highlights from last year.

1. Unequivocally, there has been a downward trend in applications. Part of that is because a lot of schools have gone to an early decision model where they will guarantee a student who meets and exceeds their qualifications if they only apply to that school and accept early decision.

2. The children of the boomers have passed through the system. Their late high school was in the midst of the recession—and they are very debt-averse. Professional school debt really scares them even though they can feel pretty confident that they are going to earn six figures when they get out of at least our program in four more years, six years total for some of them.

3. This high school graduation cohort has a higher percentage of under-represented minorities than before because of the growing Latino population.

4. Debt, lower numbers, higher percentage of under-represented minorities, and the last issue is that the clinical health professions aren’t considered to be STEM [science, technology, engineering and mathematics] careers—not medicine, not nursing, not dentistry, not pharmacy. For really bright students, regardless of ethnic characteristics, they are being driven to STEM, STEM, STEM, but a lot of times that’s [seen] as computer science and engineering, and some of the other physical sciences.

5. Some chains are playing games with hours and benefits. Some are not offering full-time positions. In rural areas, we are seeing incentive bonuses and salaries going up, but it’s very location-specific.

Whenever I think America is in peril, I just listen to this woman and say to myself that there are leaders that are less equipped with knowledge.

Anyway, can't wait to hear some of the new spin.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
“Pretty confident” lol

Reactions: 1 user
Well folks its that time of year again for pharmacy schools to meet and discuss the "future of pharmacy" at AACP. What half truths and total lies will we hear this year from Lucinda Maine. This is some of the highlights from last year.

1. Unequivocally, there has been a downward trend in applications. Part of that is because a lot of schools have gone to an early decision model where they will guarantee a student who meets and exceeds their qualifications if they only apply to that school and accept early decision.

2. The children of the boomers have passed through the system. Their late high school was in the midst of the recession—and they are very debt-averse. Professional school debt really scares them even though they can feel pretty confident that they are going to earn six figures when they get out of at least our program in four more years, six years total for some of them.

3. This high school graduation cohort has a higher percentage of under-represented minorities than before because of the growing Latino population.

4. Debt, lower numbers, higher percentage of under-represented minorities, and the last issue is that the clinical health professions aren’t considered to be STEM [science, technology, engineering and mathematics] careers—not medicine, not nursing, not dentistry, not pharmacy. For really bright students, regardless of ethnic characteristics, they are being driven to STEM, STEM, STEM, but a lot of times that’s [seen] as computer science and engineering, and some of the other physical sciences.

5. Some chains are playing games with hours and benefits. Some are not offering full-time positions. In rural areas, we are seeing incentive bonuses and salaries going up, but it’s very location-specific.

Whenever I think America is in peril, I just listen to this woman and say to myself that there are leaders that are less equipped with knowledge.

They need ACDC to come play "Highway to hell"

Members don't see this ad :)

1. "If we take to long to accept a student, they may realize the debt burden they're accepting. Let's get them before they have time to think"

2. True

3. Not sure what this is saying. Minorities pursuing pharmacy aren't being represented enough?

4. This is just stupid.

5. DING DING DING. Except instead of "chains are slashing hours and creating hostile work environments" they're just "playing games." But she has a remedy--just move somewhere you hate and be depressed...with cash!

1. "If we take to long to accept a student, they may realize the debt burden they're accepting. Let's get them before they have time to think"

2. True

3. Not sure what this is saying. Minorities pursuing pharmacy aren't being represented enough?

4. This is just stupid.

5. DING DING DING. Except instead of "chains are slashing hours and creating hostile work environments" they're just "playing games." But she has a remedy--just move somewhere you hate and be depressed...with cash!
I think you hit the nail on the head. I started pharmacy school in 2009. people talked about saturation but my school still boasted a 100% job placement I think as a society, people have become weary of college, they see too many college-educated baristas serving them at Starbucks. I think the early decision is a way that colleges are trying to lock kids in. Once people make a decision or are set on a path, it is hard to change it.. Pharmacy chains are there to make a profit, it is really difficult to increase revenue in pharmacy as pharmacy chains don't control demand. They can't make people use their pharmacy, they really can't even control prices so much. However, they can reduce labor cost to increase profit.

Reactions: 2 users
I would like to think your "highlights" were actually from The Onion, but sadly, I'm sure they are real highlights. I would expect more of the same this year, maybe with an added emphasis on this being the year pharmacists will get provider status and then there will be no more pharmacist problems ever.

I would like to think your "highlights" were actually from The Onion, but sadly, I'm sure they are real highlights. I would expect more of the same this year, maybe with an added emphasis on this being the year pharmacists will get provider status and then there will be no more pharmacist problems ever.

I’m so sick of provider status aspirations—I’ve been hearing about them since I used to ghost forums back in my pre-pharm days. It’s A damn carrot-stick situation, but guess who will get the carrot in the end? Probably not pharmacists.

Provider status has been mentioned so often that even she doesn't meantiin it as much. I wonder if she will go over to the dark side with the opiate epidemic and marijuana dispensing. That would be a big turn.

Provider status has been mentioned so often that even she doesn't meantiin it as much. I wonder if she will go over to the dark side with the opiate epidemic and marijuana dispensing. That would be a big turn.
Talk about something that's actually happening? No way.

I agree with #4. Many of the STEM professions, i.e. IT and software engineering offer a better return on investment and better quality of life, and more students are realizing this because of my posts (I kid). The ROI of pharmacy has become poor due to the high student loan burden and terrible job prospects.