Medical What should I do if currently enrolled in DO, waitlisted for MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently enrolled as an OMS-I at a great DO school. I love the staff and am glad I got into this program. I've been through orientation this week and classes start next monday.

However, I am concurrently still on the waitlist for an MD program on the highest priority tier.

As such, I'm living with my parents and commuting 1.5-2 hours to school once a week for now (for lab which is the only class that requires in person attendance) to save money in case I get into the MD school last minute and it's making me miserable. The drive is long and I'm missing out on a lot of opportunities to meet and make bonds with my colleagues. I'm also sure that this is the easiest medical school is going to be so I'd like to enjoy that aspect on campus.

Would it be unwise to just withdraw my spot on the waitlist and just make the move onto campus? Also, would FAFSA grant me another loan for a first semester if I get in past the drop date? I'm also wondering if there are any time sensitive restrictions with moving from one school to another?
Unless you're at a brand new med school which hasn't graduated a class, or one of the several that are on my bed boy list, I recommend that you move near campus and don't look back

Members don't see this ad.

It is a well-established school with a 95% pre/99% post-SOAP match. Not on your naughty list IIRC.

Thank you for your reply. I'm receiving heavy pressure from my family to wait it out, but this MD school is known not to pull from their WL.
Out of both love and ignorance, families do the best to actually destroy medical careers. Ignore them

when does the MD school start classes? IE when is the last time where you could possibly get pulled from the waitlist?

I agree in general that there’s nothing wrong with DO, but it seems like you could easily move on campus in a month once the WL process plays out. That’s literally 4 times commuting, which honestly doesn’t seem that bad.

but if you’re happy with the school, then ultimately you would not be wrong to move. It sounds like your odds of getting off the WL are low, so you’re playing long odds by waiting it out. And I suspect the question about loans would not be trivial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, you have come this far with waiting. Might just wait cause it would be a hassle if you do move and then get off the WL. Either move and commit and withdraw from the WL or stay out and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.