Physical Therapy Applied to 6 DPT Programs for 2020-2021 Cycle, Waitlisted at 4 - What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Pre-PT student who recently graduated in 2020 and took an uneventful gap year due to COVID-19.
Here are my stats:
- a little under 200 observation hours, 50 of which are in the acute care setting. During 3 years of my undergrad, I participated in a sports medicine internship in which I racked up around 2250 hours around athletic trainers, physical therapists, and physicians while working with many different athletes, mainly the university's men's basketball team
- 3.52 cumulative GPA with 2 C's (one in a physiology class and one in a physics class, both of which are part of a series of the quarter system), rebounded and earned nearly all A's for the last 60 units of my undergrad; explained my poor efforts in the PTCAS section that allows you to do so (it would be really difficult to retake these two specific courses so I decided I won't)
- GRE scores 157 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, and 4.5 Analytical Writing
- I have done well in the various writing courses I've taken in undergrad and I shared my personal statements and supplemental essays with others and received positive feedback. From my knowledge I assume that I had good letter of recs.

After all these stats, I've been waitlisted at 4 schools, rejected from 1, and still waiting to hear back from the last one. To be fair some of the schools were top programs but some were not. I made sure to turn in my application early too. I'm unsure what the weak part of my application is because I am preparing for the worst-case scenario in which I don't get accepted to any school this cycle. My guess is my observation hours are lacking (I've heard 1000 is ideal) but I know exceptions have been made due to COVID-19. I've made efforts to find employment as a PT aide or tech but unfortunately the availability in my hometown is extremely low. I've considered moving to a bigger city to find opportunities but I've been unemployed since the start of the pandemic looking for PT related work so that'll be a pain lol. Anyways if anyone could offer any insight on what I could do or any opinions on my situation it'd be greatly appreciated

PS I've been following Pre-PT Grind but I feel like I fall into the category of those who would be accepted but haven't so again very lost lol guess this years applicant pool was crazy competitive
Although I am not a PT, having been waitlisted at four schools post interview may mean you interview skills are lacking. If you have to reapply, you may want to apply to a more broad set of schools, get more hours, and practice your interview skills.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.