What should I choose?

undecided1601

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently still in 10th Grade but since I have to choose my DP subjects next year, I was wondering what major I might be more suited in. I am quite interested in both Math and Science so I am debating whether to focus on Accounting (although as of now, I am not quite interested in learning about money etc.), Medicine (Would a weak stomach be a problem if I want to pursue this?) or another major. Despite the potentially long study period, I am very keen in the idea that we can help other people through our knowledge on Medicine. This might be the wrong forum to ask this question, but I was wondering what made you choose to pursue this major. Also, if you don't mind, what do you think might be a better choice for me? Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

My high school doesn't have majors, so I don't know much about what exactly you learn in each field. What I do know, though, is that this decision matters very little later on. There's no need to pick math or science just because you have the ambition to go into a healthcare related field. If accounting doesn't interest you, and you are not yet comfortable with medicine, its much better to pick a major that interests you and that you will get the best grades in. Medical schools don't care what your college major is, not to mention what your high school major, so the most important thing is to do what you will enjoy. I know that this isn't quite the answer that you are looking for, I just want to make sure you know that this isn't something that you need to stress over. I understand that you want to know what you're getting yourself into, though. Good luck!

I haven't decided what subjects I should take for next year since I am not yet sure what field I want to pursue. Thank You!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The general rule is your major/pre-med school area of study should be for your backup if you don't get in. If I don't get it, I'd like to teach biology so I'm majoring in biology. If you don't get in, I'm guessing you'd prefer accounting than some other medicine-adjacent jobs so go there.

Then shadow or volunteer at a hospital and see if you actually enjoy it in your free time.