This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoustonApplicant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping to get some feedback from those with knowledge/experience regarding the med school application market. I am looking to apply next year and want to know what is realistically possible and what realistic goals would look like for getting into med school.

I am a hispanic female (born in S. America moved to the US later) with a little over 2 year experience working as a PA. My UG GPA was 3.79 (science GPA is 3.73). I live in Texas and due to my significant others' work situation, I would need to get into a school in Houston, Austin or Dallas. I am finishing up my OChem and Physics at a community college while working full time.

Given my GPA, work experience and demographics (i don't know if that is relevant) what type of score would I need to feel confident going into my application. My preferred schools are 1) Baylor 2) UT Austin (Dell) 3) McGovern and 4) UT Medical Branch. Also willing to consider others.

Additionally (for what its worth), I feel like I will have great LORs since I have spent time working with multiple doctors (including the chief) who have been pushing me to go to med school and have helped me along in my career.

Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Texas medschools love high GPAs, so you are good to go there. Assuming you have all the requisite ECs, here are the following general MCAT scores that you will need to be competitive for each school:

With Baylor, you will need 515+
With UTSW, you will need 514+
With McGovern/UTMB, you will need a 510+ MCAT to be competitive
With all others except Dell*, you will need a 505-509 to be competitive

*Dell is very picky. Not only will you need a competitive MCAT, you will need to demonstrate major contribution(s) to your community that will make you stand out among the other applicants. This can be demonstrated through you ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am hoping to get some feedback from those with knowledge/experience regarding the med school application market. I am looking to apply next year and want to know what is realistically possible and what realistic goals would look like for getting into med school.

I am a hispanic female (born in S. America moved to the US later) with a little over 2 year experience working as a PA. My UG GPA was 3.79 (science GPA is 3.73). I live in Texas and due to my significant others' work situation, I would need to get into a school in Houston, Austin or Dallas. I am finishing up my OChem and Physics at a community college while working full time.

Given my GPA, work experience and demographics (i don't know if that is relevant) what type of score would I need to feel confident going into my application. My preferred schools are 1) Baylor 2) UT Austin (Dell) 3) McGovern and 4) UT Medical Branch. Also willing to consider others.

Additionally (for what its worth), I feel like I will have great LORs since I have spent time working with multiple doctors (including the chief) who have been pushing me to go to med school and have helped me along in my career.

Any help is appreciated!
Ok so you would need to have a solid MCAT to match that solid gpa. Texas schools prefer that at least two of your LOR are from science professors/professors you have had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response. In your opinion what is considered a solid MCAT (85-90%)?

Texas medschools love high GPAs, so you are good to go there. Assuming you have all the requisite ECs, here are the following general MCAT scores that you will need to be competitive for each school:

With Baylor, you will need 515+
With UTSW, you will need 514+
With McGovern/UTMB, you will need a 510+ MCAT to be competitive
With all others except Dell*, you will need a 505-509 to be competitive

*Dell is very picky. Not only will you need a competitive MCAT, you will need to demonstrate major contribution(s) to your community that will make you stand out among the other applicants. This can be demonstrated through you ECs.

Great reply - I really appreciate it. For ECs would my work experience in low income outpatient clinics be considered strong or would that be to generic? I have also done service trips to underserved countries. Do you have any suggestions for ECs that are considered resume boosting?

Great reply - I really appreciate it. For ECs would my work experience in low income outpatient clinics be considered strong or would that be to generic? I have also done service trips to underserved countries. Do you have any suggestions for ECs that are considered resume boosting?

I assume the work experience in the clinics are paid? If so, its good to have that as one of your ECs. However, that won't be enough. You need to show you altruistic side. Therefore, besides employment, you will need to volunteer at other low SES facilities like at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, animal shelter, etc. Also while you job as a PA is great clinical experience, you might need to have some hours shadowing a licensed physician.

Generally, Adcoms view service trips negatively because they see it a voluntourism. Did you do these trips as an undergrad or as a licensed PA? If it was as an undergrad, then I would not list them. But if they were done when you were already a licensed PA, that might be good to list. However, lets get the POV of Adcoms on this. Paging @Catalystik @LizzyM @Goro

I assume the work experience in the clinics are paid? If so, its good to have that as one of your ECs. However, that won't be enough. You need to show you altruistic side. Therefore, besides employment, you will need to volunteer at other low SES facilities like at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, animal shelter, etc. Also while you job as a PA is great clinical experience, you might need to have some hours shadowing a licensed physician.

Generally, Adcoms view service trips negatively because they see it a voluntourism. Did you do these trips as an undergrad or as a licensed PA? If it was as an undergrad, then I would not list them. But if they were done when you were already a licensed PA, that might be good to list. However, lets get the POV of Adcoms on this. Paging @Catalystik @LizzyM @Goro

Looks like I will be seeking out service opportunities in my city. As to the service trip, it was while I was a licensed PA so that is potentially good - interested to hear what the Adcoms have to say (thank you for linking them).

between finishing up pre-med, volunteering and full-time work I don't think I will get shadowing. It is disappointing that this is a factor considering my entire job as a PA is working side by side with physicians - but I get sometimes thats just how it is. Might just have to "punt" on this one.

Making those trips as a PA can be seen more positively in my eyes.