What schools should I apply to? 33P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockyDoctora

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 33P (14/7/12) and a near 3.9 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA. I'm a resident in NY and was wondering what schools I should be adding to my current list. I just graduated from a top 25 school known to have a very rigorous workload, especially in engineering, which is what I majored in. I've done my share of volunteering (both clinical and non-clinical), research (1 pending pub, 1 in its works), and other activities.

Here's my list so far:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
New York Medical College
NYU
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook

What are my chances, and what schools do you guys recommend adding?
Thank a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd recommend a retake of the MCAT. A 7 section score is going to keep you out of most MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually scheduled to retake in late July. Hopefully I can bring it up to a 9 or 10, but no guarantees :/
I'm still trying to compile my list of schools now so I can get verified. Any suggestions?

This might be SDN rumor, but I heard EVMS considers the cumulative MCAT score over the subsections. However, I have no clue if this is true, and can't find any reputable source to confirm it.

There are some schools in the MSAR with bottom 10% VR of 8, so those will probably be your best bet. Also, you can do what I did and call up a few schools. I asked if my low verbal would get me screened out, and whether my application would be still considered.

You don't need a list to get verified. You only need one school to submit and then add more later depending on your new mcat score

So i just submitted my application with just Stony Brook listed. In your case, zepplin, did you come across many schools that told you that they would dismiss your application because of a low score?

Here are some other schools I was thinking of applying to:

Boston U
Mayo (waste of money?)
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Brown
Tufts
Tulane

Would you guys consider all of these "reach" schools for me? Also, I know its not accurate to call any medical school a "safety" school, but what schools do you think may be categorized as so in my situation? And what schools do you think I would have an even shot at?

Here are some other schools I was thinking of applying to:

Boston U
Mayo (waste of money?)
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Brown
Tufts
Tulane

Would you guys consider all of these "reach" schools for me? Also, I know its not accurate to call any medical school a "safety" school, but what schools do you think may be categorized as so in my situation? And what schools do you think I would have an even shot at?

It's hard to say since you're retaking the MCAT.

When you retake something like a 33 you're really taking a gamble on whether or not your score will improve overall. Sure you probably can raise your verbal, but can you keep the other sections that high as well? Who knows.

If you had a balanced 33 I would say you're in good shape, so take that for what its worth.

These are pretty good schools so I would recommend adding one safetyish school for every good school. Also I would reconsider brown, they have a small class size and have many of those seats going to RI folks and people from Brown.

Goodluck on that MCAT, cowboy, you have a dance with the devil

When you retake something like a 33 you're really taking a gamble on whether or not your score will improve overall. Sure you probably can raise your verbal, but can you keep the other sections that high as well? Who knows.

If you had a balanced 33 I would say you're in good shape, so take that for what its worth.

These are pretty good schools so I would recommend adding one safetyish school for every good school. Also I would reconsider brown, they have a small class size and have many of those seats going to RI folks and people from Brown.

Yeah, I mean, I'm having a hard time choosing what "safety" schools are. I don't really think the my state (NY) schools are really safety, although I do have the advantage of being a resident.

What safety schools would you suggest for someone like me? I'd want to stay up in the north east I guess, but if need be I consider applying anywhere in the country.

Just wait until your new score comes out to add schools.

I was in a similar situation as you. I took the MCAT in 2010 and received a 30Q (11PS 7VR 12 BS). Every school I called told me to retake because of the 7 in verbal reasoning. I retook and received a 34R (12PS 10VR 12BS) and now I have a full ride at my state school.

Just wait until your new score comes out to add schools.

I was in a similar situation as you. I took the MCAT in 2010 and received a 30Q (11PS 7VR 12 BS). Every school I called told me to retake because of the 7 in verbal reasoning. I retook and received a 34R (12PS 10VR 12BS) and now I have a full ride at my state school.

wow very nice! Yeah hopefully my sciences wont drop and i just started studying for the MCATs. But with only a month idk how far I can get with my studying... If I'm not prepared I dont think I'll risk taking it.

If you're applying this cycle you'll be way late if you take it in August...beware

Members don't see this ad :)
So i just submitted my application with just Stony Brook listed. In your case, zepplin, did you come across many schools that told you that they would dismiss your application because of a low score?
Surprisingly none of the schools I called told me my app would be dismissed. I specifically remember Albany telling me that my cumulative is still very high and I should apply. Ohio State said they would consider the whole app, and the MCAT score holds less weight compared to the ECs.

They might have just been saying that to encourage me to apply, but most schools said that I would at least be considered with the 8VR. I imagine it's not much different for anyone with a 7VR.
I also recall SUNY Upstate telling me that an 8VR was just fine. One of the ladies said they liked the science scores, if I remember right. If what this Upstate rep said was true, I think we both still stand a chance there. :)

I definitely understand the frustration though haha, I seriously feel like every school is a reach school because of that low VR.

As for your other posts, I would consider removing Mt.Sinai, I think the MSAR lists their bottom 10%ile VR at 10, which is higher than the norm (around 9) for a lot of the other schools.

Best of luck on the retake, I hope everything works out and you can get the verbal up.

Last edited:
Surprisingly none of the schools I called told me my app would be dismissed. I specifically remember Albany telling me that my cumulative is still very high and I should apply. Ohio State said they would consider the whole app, and the MCAT score holds less weight compared to the ECs.

They might have just been saying that to encourage me to apply, but most schools said that I would at least be considered with the 8VR. I imagine it's not much different for anyone with a 7VR.
I also recall SUNY Upstate telling me that an 8VR was just fine. One of the ladies said they liked the science scores, if I remember right. If what this Upstate rep said was true, I think we both still stand a chance there. :)

I definitely understand the frustration though haha, I seriously feel like every school is a reach school because of that low VR.

As for your other posts, I would consider removing Mt.Sinai, I think the MSAR lists their bottom 10%ile VR at 10, which is higher than the norm (around 9) for a lot of the other schools.

Best of luck on the retake, I hope everything works out and you can get the verbal up.

Hey Zepplin. Thanks for you encouraging post! I really do feel really hindered by that score in regards to what schools I have a chance with. Even my advisor had a lot of negative things to say about my score, and I kind of signed up out of reluctance. However, fron an objective point of view, it's very true if you look at the statistics. I just hope that if I don't end up doing better or cancel it, then the other portions of my application will compensate for it.

I'm just hoping for the best haha.

Hey Zepplin. Thanks for you encouraging post! I really do feel really hindered by that score in regards to what schools I have a chance with. Even my advisor had a lot of negative things to say about my score, and I kind of signed up out of reluctance. However, fron an objective point of view, it's very true if you look at the statistics. I just hope that if I don't end up doing better or cancel it, then the other portions of my application will compensate for it.

I'm just hoping for the best haha.
Same! :xf: At least we have the right mindset, hope for the best and prepare for the worst this cycle. I feel like the uncertainty will make this process that much sweeter if we get accepted.

My MCAT date is july 26th, and I'm applying this cycle. Is this considered late?

It depends on when you apply...are you applying before or after your mcat or before or after your release date?

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine '16
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

It depends on when you apply...are you applying before or after your mcat or before or after your release date?

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine '16
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Well I'm applying right now as in having my AMCAS verified, and listing the schools. I did check the box confirming that I'll be sending new scores in the future.

I was looking at Brown through the MSAR, and it seems like Brown gives a fair chance to students from OOS. I took into consideration of the number of students who were applying through the undergraduate program, and what I came up with was about a 6% chance of having an interview, and out of that 6%, a 28% chance of an offer. Tell me if these numbers sound correct.

So for now, I'm keeping it on my list.

I was looking at Brown through the MSAR, and it seems like Brown gives a fair chance to students from OOS. I took into consideration of the number of students who were applying through the undergraduate program, and what I came up with was about a 6% chance of having an interview, and out of that 6%, a 28% chance of an offer. Tell me if these numbers sound correct.

So for now, I'm keeping it on my list.

You need to be careful about how you look at this data. For one you don't know which of the applicants are the MD/Bacc.

Also, Brown gives a considerable number of their spots to students who did their undergrad at Brown. Since Brown is a private school none of their students change their residency to RI. So all of these Brown folks getting preference are appearing as OOS.

On the MSAR go to the page the matriculant demographic page and you can see 48% of their matriculants have Brown B.Sc.

You need to be careful about how you look at this data. For one you don't know which of the applicants are the MD/Bacc.

Also, Brown gives a considerable number of their spots to students who did their undergrad at Brown. Since Brown is a private school none of their students change their residency to RI. So all of these Brown folks getting preference are appearing as OOS.

On the MSAR go to the page the matriculant demographic page and you can see 48% of their matriculants have Brown B.Sc.

Hey Desp, you're right, and thanks for the warning. I decided to take Brown off of my list of schools.

Also, I have an updated list of schools that I would love people critiquing:

High Reach:
Cornell
Case Western
University of Pittsburgh

Reach:
Albert Einstein
NYU
Boston U
Ohio State
Indiana U

Match:
U Cincinnati
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Albany Medical College
Jefferson
Toledo

"Safety":
RFU
EVMS
Creighton
MC of Wisconsin
New York Medical College

Not a bad list at all.

You can never have too many safeties, but make sure you actually would attend any of those schools. If you're hesitant at all towards any of those schools, then you are probably in a position to take a couple out and replace them with more "match"ish schools.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've heard Tulane will screen out below an 8.

Not a bad list at all.

You can never have too many safeties, but make sure you actually would attend any of those schools. If you're hesitant at all towards any of those schools, then you are probably in a position to take a couple out and replace them with more "match"ish schools.

Hope that helps. I think you'll do just fine.

Every school becomes a tough match with a 7 subsection. Most adcoms are going to recommend a retake...

Every school becomes a tough match with a 7 subsection. Most adcoms are going to recommend a retake...

Err you're right. With the time between replys I lost track of the subscores. Thanks for catching that, as it does drastically change his chances.

My B

Err you're right. With the time between replys I lost track of the subscores. Thanks for catching that, as it does drastically change his chances.

My B

Do you think this might be a it top-heavy with my subscore?

I did call Cornell, and not many other schools, and they said that they don't screen. I don't know how true this is, but I want to hope that a lot of these schools can somehow overlook my verbal and get lucky with them.

To be honest, I would be a little hesitant of going to any of the safety schools that I've listed, especially since they're all more expensive, being private schools. Maybe I might as well just remove them?