What OTC orthotics are you recommending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasthardcheese

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Patients with foot pain/arch pain/flat foot/plantar fasciitis get a powerstep.
Patients with the above + met head pain get powerstep with met pad
Patients with high arch/sub 1st met callus get DonJoy Arch Rival (thanks @airbud)

Most everyone seems to do fine in one of the above OTC options. The only people I don't have a good recommendation for are the severe flat foot with little to no flexibility who can't tolerate the rigid arch of the powerstep.

I'm curious what you all are recommending.

ETA: Looking at OTC devices because I'm specifically trying to avoid customs because I don't think our practice's price is justified and people's money is valuable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
... people I don't have a good recommendation for are the severe flat foot with little to no flexibility who can't tolerate the rigid arch of the powerstep.

I'm curious what you all are recommending...
10 blade?

For non-custom, I pretty much just do two types: (mildly) functional spenco total support (or powerstep) type... and total accomodative (plastazole DM). The stage 3 and 4 PTTD would get the latter. You can play always with met pads or arch pads or whatever as you like.

Beyond that, it's custom for me. They can help if you write good Rx on the orders and communicate with the lab well. PTTD rigid foot type would be custom plastazole functional in my hands usually.

Some places I've seen kinda do a happy medium of cheap OTC and custom... decent option if you have it available:

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend powersteps quite frequently as well as occasional superfeet. I have used donjoy in patients and they do like it (thanks airbud).

What gets me is the patients who come in from the good feet store. $500-1000 for prefab orthosis with a fancy sales pitch. I just dont understand it. How do they not see its a scam? I get ~1 a week

Last edited:
If the patient would traditionally get a functional orthotic then they get a powerstep. If they are an accommodative orthotic candidate I use superfeet. I really only do customs if the patient specifically requests them as they are universally not covered by insurance in my area.

Superfeet copper for flat feet, orange for normal feet, power step pinnacle plus for neuromas or metatarsalgia, and vasyli hoke for cavovarus (switched from donjoy arch rival, I think these are better).

Muhaaa! Shill here.

I'm now carrying a prefab manufactured by a custom company. Its a custom killer - semi-rigid, lasts years, all the podiatry built ins. Customs dispensed in 2 years of practice? Zero.

I offer patients the chance to try mine ie. walk the halls, no pressure, but always give them maps to stores in town where they can buy Spenco Full Arch or Powersteps if they want to. People who work at McDonalds need to know there are products that are sub-$30 out there.

The Spenco full honestly works pretty well for non-cavus foot stress/strain, PTTD, TMTJ arch strain, PF, tiredness, etc. Add metatarsal bar for predislocation / metatarsalgia.

Call me crazy - I don't feel like Powersteps have longevity. I've pulled out quite a few Pinnacle or a Pulse Performance that have been flattened...

The prefab functional orthotic we carry is made by a custom manufacturer. When purchased in bulk it costs us $14. We sell it for $55 which is cheaper than anything in town except the Spenco above. It produces very angry reactions from people who paid for customs as most can't tell the difference between it and their custom. I have everyone who wants customs try it first and my custom-to-prefab-conversion ratio would have me fired if I was a NYC associate.

I hate customs. That said, for a time I would have said I had only seen quality customs. Now - everyone is prescribing customs. Chiropractors. Podiatrists. PT. There are some crap crap crap customs being stuck into peoples shoes. I semi regularly see heat molded non-custom crap pushed for $300-500. I've seen a patient pay over $1K for a "set" of orthotics that were all different neutral prefabs (if I recall this is a trick that the Good Feet store or something like that pulls - there's one in Des Moines). Even more frustrating is people paying through the nose for junk accomodative stuff that isn't going to last a year. Its as frustrating as people buying diabetic shoes/inserts and not realizing they were supposed to change out the insert or weren't actually provided more.

The only customs I've had ordered were on patients so complicated that I don't want to be the person stuck adjusting them. Call me terrible, I dump them on an pedorthist. Even at like the $350 that I think the bedworth is charges I don't really see how they make money on this unless they are amazing at adjusting them.

The number one reason a patient believes they need customs - a podiatrist already made them for them.

An MA in my office went to another DPM in town a few weeks before working for us. They had a mild bunion with no real pain and were prescribed customs on the spot, molded without a word, without a discussion of cost. First visit. The patient told me her insurance paid for them. They were uglier than my prefab.

Now for my ridiculous thing - when I look at other peoples customs, even good ones - they are honestly all the same. Like seriously, most customs are the same old crap that goes into everything - a heel cup, some medial skive, some posting. Its like we go through all this podiatry frou frou magic talk and then everyone produces the same looking product most of the time. There's a drawer in my office of customs that were prescribed years ago where the patients never picked them up. I really think you could stick them in like almost anyone's shoe who is mildly overpronated and they'd say they liked them.

Shill out.

Reactions: 1 users
Muhaaa! Shill here.

I'm now carrying a prefab manufactured by a custom company. Its a custom killer - semi-rigid, lasts years, all the podiatry built ins. Customs dispensed in 2 years of practice? Zero.

I offer patients the chance to try mine ie. walk the halls, no pressure, but always give them maps to stores in town where they can buy Spenco Full Arch or Powersteps if they want to. People who work at McDonalds need to know there are products that are sub-$30 out there.

The Spenco full honestly works pretty well for non-cavus foot stress/strain, PTTD, TMTJ arch strain, PF, tiredness, etc. Add metatarsal bar for predislocation / metatarsalgia.

Call me crazy - I don't feel like Powersteps have longevity. I've pulled out quite a few Pinnacle or a Pulse Performance that have been flattened...

The prefab functional orthotic we carry is made by a custom manufacturer. When purchased in bulk it costs us $14. We sell it for $55 which is cheaper than anything in town except the Spenco above. It produces very angry reactions from people who paid for customs as most can't tell the difference between it and their custom. I have everyone who wants customs try it first and my custom-to-prefab-conversion ratio would have me fired if I was a NYC associate.

I hate customs. That said, for a time I would have said I had only seen quality customs. Now - everyone is prescribing customs. Chiropractors. Podiatrists. PT. There are some crap crap crap customs being stuck into peoples shoes. I semi regularly see heat molded non-custom crap pushed for $300-500. I've seen a patient pay over $1K for a "set" of orthotics that were all different neutral prefabs (if I recall this is a trick that the Good Feet store or something like that pulls - there's one in Des Moines). Even more frustrating is people paying through the nose for junk accomodative stuff that isn't going to last a year. Its as frustrating as people buying diabetic shoes/inserts and not realizing they were supposed to change out the insert or weren't actually provided more.

The only customs I've had ordered were on patients so complicated that I don't want to be the person stuck adjusting them. Call me terrible, I dump them on an pedorthist. Even at like the $350 that I think the bedworth is charges I don't really see how they make money on this unless they are amazing at adjusting them.

The number one reason a patient believes they need customs - a podiatrist already made them for them.

An MA in my office went to another DPM in town a few weeks before working for us. They had a mild bunion with no real pain and were prescribed customs on the spot, molded without a word, without a discussion of cost. First visit. The patient told me her insurance paid for them. They were uglier than my prefab.

Now for my ridiculous thing - when I look at other peoples customs, even good ones - they are honestly all the same. Like seriously, most customs are the same old crap that goes into everything - a heel cup, some medial skive, some posting. Its like we go through all this podiatry frou frou magic talk and then everyone produces the same looking product most of the time. There's a drawer in my office of customs that were prescribed years ago where the patients never picked them up. I really think you could stick them in like almost anyone's shoe who is mildly overpronated and they'd say they liked them.

Shill out.

which footsteps models you carry/sell the most of?

superfeet green for everyone or get a custom orthotic. I don't buy this different OTC brands for certain foot type talk above. Don't buy it at all.

I love custom orthotics and AFOs because I refer them out to hanger clinic. Then the patients can complain to them when they don't fit right

Reactions: 1 users
superfeet green for everyone or get a custom orthotic. I don't buy this different OTC brands for certain foot type talk above. Don't buy it at all.

I love custom orthotics and AFOs because I refer them out to hanger clinic. Then the patients can complain to them when they don't fit right
Yes, this is basically what I do.^^

If hospital employed, you just want to send it all out and let the DME store get the $ but also do the returns and exchanges and re-makes. I just give the basic stuff as I said above (a weak functional or an accomodative). I think we can do a bit better than one type of OTC insole for all, but it's just not worth the time to get too fancy. I really don't ever do much besides add a met or dancer pad to a pre-fab and tell them it's a stop-gap until they can get their customs or surgery or whatever. I think it is a good thing to pepper the local DME store, PT, neuro, vasc, rheum, etc etc with referrals... they will know your name well and typically refer back.

In PPrac, you want to dispense everything and anything you possibly can to keep the revenue in-house. You also have a ton of customer service issues (DM shoes don't fit well, orthotics/OTC didn't help, brace rubs a blister, etc). Unless you have a pedorthist in the practice, that can be a pain. I didn't enjoy it, and it makes you zero income compared to what you could be doing with that time. I think that even in PP, it makes sense to send a lot of stuff out with Rx for the DME... to save headaches and to get your name out there.

My old job MSG had it made where the DME store rented from their building, so we were keeping them busy and helping the group's bottom line. That is what most hospitals, MSG, or orthos in the know will do. I have seen a few multi-office pod groups that do that also (own a DME store or have a pedorthist who can do most of what a DME store can).