What % of FA do people actually remember?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iki4life

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
before taking the Step 1, how much of FA on average do you think is actually retained? And how much do you think actually pops into mind when you see the answer choices?
Just curious to know, any guesses?

Members don't see this ad.

before taking the Step 1, how much of FA on average do you think is actually retained? And how much do you think actually pops into mind when you see the answer choices?
Just curious to know, any guesses?
The friends I know who got over 250 could spit back almost any fact from FA.

I scored in the 230's and probably had down about 90% of FA at least. Most of the questions I missed weren't in first Aid (more specific anatomy, weird questions that I didn't know they were getting at etc)

Fa teaches you buzz words and lots of mnemonics specially when used combo with Uworld it is a great source ! but for mastering FA you need some background knowledge !

I would say that I had 70% that I could straight up recite from nothing but the rest required a memory hook, in the form of a question stem or answer choices. There is A LOT of tiny details in that book, I question if anybody can literally memorize everything in it.

Establishing a strong foundation so that you can reason your way through the thinking questions or through situations when your memory fails you is more important than cold memorization.

Reactions: 1 user