What month does pharmacy schools usually start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am planning my classes for the next year or so and it seems like I will need to take next summer to finish my pre-req's. I know it sounds early to think of next NEXT summer (not this upcoming summer). I just wanted to make sure my summer school wouldn't overlap with the beginning of pharmacy school (assuming I get in of course). The summer school classes end around mid-late July.

So when does school usually start for incoming 1st years at pharmacy schools?
It'd really suck if I had one week left of microbiology and the first week of pharm. school starts. :mad:

Do they usually start late August?

Members don't see this ad.

usc starts aug 23rd this year.

i wouldn't recommend taking pre-pharm classes the summer before you plan to start. its been done many times before and sometimes there's just no way around it . if you have any control over it, i would recommend finishing your classes by june (if you're gonna start in aug) just because there can be a lot of stress and risk if anything goes wrong such as reschedulling issues, passing the class, illness etc etc.. a few months buffer is not a bad idea.

yeah, I know what you mean. but my only problem is I go to UC Davis and I need to finish up some classes to graduate THIS summer. and our summer sessions end VERY late (around mid september). then I will graduate.

however, most (if not all JC's around me) start their fall semester in late August. Which means I can't start finishing my pre-req's this upcoming fall so I gotta take this fall qtr off. and I need 2 semesters (or 2 school sessions) to finish physics 1 and physics 2.

ahhh, the stresss!

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I do not understand, but couldn't you overlap this fall so you won't have to worry about next summer?

its hard to explain.

but I'll try since I'm bored =)

I still need to take these classes at UC Davis before I graduate.

Econ class 1
econ class 2
econ class 3
econ class 4
econ class 5
o-chem #2
o-chem #3

Next spring qtr, i will take ecn classes 1,2,3 and ochem # 2. (4 total classes for spring qtr)

then summer session 1 at UCD, I will take o-chem # 3 and econ class #4

then summer session 2 at UCD, I will take econ class # 5. Then I am officially graduated. (summer session 2 ends sept. 10th)

So i am all done wih Davis but I still need to take the following pre-req's at a JC:
physics # 1 and physics # 2. anatomy, physiology, and microbiology.
Basically, ONE full year of classes.

so fall qtr in almost every JC around me starts in mid-August. but I will be in the middle of my summer session 2 then, hence I cannot take classes at a JC near me in fall qtr. and also finish up my last econ class at UC Davis summer session 2.

so this causes me to have to maybe take fall semester off and start my remaining pre-req's in spring semester. then I will have to finish physics class # 2 during that summer. and fall is when I should hopefully start pharm. school. if I confused you even more, I apologize.

OK, I just typed out too much BS and if u read that, thank you. :)

But why can't you go ahead and take your physics I and Anatomy in the Fall (or whatever you are currently planning for spring), even though they will overlap the last couple weeks of Econ 5? Or is there a time conflict? Or maybe they are not in the same town? Sorry if I am being dense, I am looking at it from where I live where the University and the community college are within driving distance of each other.

ahhh, see, thats my option #3 =)

But yeah, I was hoping to move down to LA or at least back home to San Francisco for JC. You can only take so much of UC Davis (if you lived in Davis for 4 years, you'd understand). But after talking to a few people and a counselor, I am hoping to spend Fall semester at in Davis (and go to city college of Sacramento 20 min away) and then when Spring semester comes along, I can transfer out again and finish in LA or SF JC.

I just hope my physics series is compatible at two JC's. like physics 1 at Sac city and Physics 2 at another JC.

Have you considered online courses? I know physics is offered online from a JC here in the Phoenix area. I believe it is accepted as any other JC class would be.

You can just take your prereqs for pharmacy now....and come back to finish your degree during summer vacation of pharmacy school...how about that?

Originally posted by eddie269
...So when does school usually start for incoming 1st years at pharmacy schools?
It'd really suck if I had one week left of microbiology and the first week of pharm. school starts. :mad:
]

Usually, pharmacy schools start somewhere around late August. Some school starts earlier and some school starts in September. You need to check the schools that you are applying to. Also, the summer schedule of JC or a 4-yr institution will be different year to year ( slightly...not much)...So it depends on both factors: School that you wanna apply to + School that you will be attending