What MCAT score do you think I need??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDWannabe90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!! I've been a long time sdn lurking and I just signed up so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section but I just want some advice on what range of mcat score I need.

Some background info:
-Philosophy major at a state university
-3.62 overall gpa and 3.42 science gpa.
-My family is from jamaica and I'm a first generation student (so I think I'm a URM?)
-Tons of leadership experience, was the vice president of a community service organization that served the undeserved, peer mentor coordinator, resident assistant in the dorms, EMT-B, CPR instructor, chemistry tutor and much much more.
-I'll have 5 LOR's, 4 that will be totally amazing and 1 that will be average.
-My personal statement is also amazing as well, I've had several people go over it and they have said it is one of the best they have read.
-I have received 3 awards at my school in outstanding community service and leadership.
-Did a 6 week summer program at a nearby medical school.

I want to go MD but what's working against me is that I know my science gpa is low and I also have 4W's. 2 of them were from this past spring semester, I had a close family member pass away and I could not find the motivation to continue studying so I took a break. The other 2 are from chronic migraines that prevented me from handing in work on time but I didn't know that I could get a doctors note to make it a MWD because I was a dumb freshman.

My question is that I have to delay taking my mcat until August 5th beyond my control. I know that I will have enough time to study for it (350+ hours) My question is what mcat score do you think that I absolutely need to get in order to be competitive for MD US schools this cycle despite my shortcomings of the W's and late MCAT that I am taking.

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

the best advice would be to get the highest score you possbily can..this is the case for anyone! having a specific score will not guarantee interviews or acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
With your background and stats I would be kinda satisfied with a 28...but that's me.

Yeah... That isn't cool.... You really should have worded that differently. Also keep in mind the sheer number of applicants is low which leads to inflating those stats.

Shoot for a 30 or higher.

You hurt his delicate sensibilities, medpr.

Yeah... That isn't cool.... You really should have worded that differently. Also keep in mind the sheer number of applicants is low which leads to inflating those stats.

Worded it differently? What are you talking about? He said he's Jamaican (black). Statistically it is easier for black applicants than anyone else. How else is there to present it?

Edit: Actually, even though Jamaicans have the same skin color as blacks (african american better for you?), they are actually from the Caribbean. So are they even URM?

I had a 3.4/3.3 science and a 32. 13 MD interviews and several acceptances. I'm also not a URM and my ECs were mediocre.

You'll be fine.

I had a 3.4/3.3 science and a 32. 13 MD interviews and several acceptances. I'm also not a URM and my ECs were mediocre.

You'll be fine.

Are you a non-traditional student? Was anything about you or your application remarkable? If it's as cut and dry as you put it, that's seriously impressive.

I don't think he could have worded that any better :laugh:

You'll be fine.

What undergrad did you go to? Or what do you consider to be mediocre ECs?

My god MedPR, how dare you claim that blacks have an 80% acceptance rate with the stats you mentioned! So rude!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Much appreciated!! I know that URM's do have an advantage statistically but I guess I just thought that since I'm taking the mcat so late, that urm advantage would be counteracted by the disadvantage of a late application because I probly wouldn't be complete until September :confused:

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Much appreciated!! I know that URM's do have an advantage statistically but I guess I just thought that since I'm taking the mcat so late, that urm advantage would be counteracted by the disadvantage of a late application because I probly wouldn't be complete until September :confused:

You are correct. With your non- trad background and low science GPA you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Apply to schools that like non-trads and do your best on your mcat to show you can handle the material ( because your science GPA and *slightly* the withdrawals ) indicate you can't. If you don't do well on the mcat...ie you bomb... Perhaps put applying off for a year. You'd end up re applying so might as well save some $$

Also...maybe it could have been phrased better but those of you off on a high horse cause someone said you have easier requirements as a URM...

If you're complaining about the phrasing, fine. Understood.

If you're denying the fact... Seriously shut up and go do some research on the topic. It's a loaded topic, but the fact remains URMs generally have lower requirements. Stating that fact...is not a racist/sexist/hate-filled comment .

Get. Over. It.

People seriously get their panties in a bunch over the URM thing. Yes, the acceptance statistics are much, much lower. In fact, comparing the ORM (Asian) to URM (Black) graph is pretty sadistically hilarious.

And since I was bored, here it is (horrible transposition, but gets the point across):

jKrkI.gif

Last edited:
Hi!!! I've been a long time sdn lurking and I just signed up so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section but I just want some advice on what range of mcat score I need.

Some background info:
-Philosophy major at a state university
-3.62 overall gpa and 3.42 science gpa.
-My family is from jamaica and I'm a first generation student (so I think I'm a URM?)
-Tons of leadership experience, was the vice president of a community service organization that served the undeserved, peer mentor coordinator, resident assistant in the dorms, EMT-B, CPR instructor, chemistry tutor and much much more.
-I'll have 5 LOR's, 4 that will be totally amazing and 1 that will be average.
-My personal statement is also amazing as well, I've had several people go over it and they have said it is one of the best they have read.
-I have received 3 awards at my school in outstanding community service and leadership.
-Did a 6 week summer program at a nearby medical school.

I want to go MD but what's working against me is that I know my science gpa is low and I also have 4W's. 2 of them were from this past spring semester, I had a close family member pass away and I could not find the motivation to continue studying so I took a break. The other 2 are from chronic migraines that prevented me from handing in work on time but I didn't know that I could get a doctors note to make it a MWD because I was a dumb freshman.

My question is that I have to delay taking my mcat until August 5th beyond my control. I know that I will have enough time to study for it (350+ hours) My question is what mcat score do you think that I absolutely need to get in order to be competitive for MD US schools this cycle despite my shortcomings of the W's and late MCAT that I am taking.

Thanks in advance!!!
Just do the best you can. An MCAT score in the low 30's with your GPA should be the minimum score that you aim for. Anything higher than that will only help you.

You are correct. With your non- trad background and low science GPA you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Apply to schools that like non-trads and do your best on your mcat to show you can handle the material ( because your science GPA and *slightly* the withdrawals ) indicate you can't. If you don't do well on the mcat...ie you bomb... Perhaps put applying off for a year. You'd end up re applying so might as well save some $$

Also...maybe it could have been phrased better but those of you off on a high horse cause someone said you have easier requirements as a URM...

If you're complaining about the phrasing, fine. Understood.

If you're denying the fact... Seriously shut up and go do some research on the topic. It's a loaded topic, but the fact remains URMs generally have lower requirements. Stating that fact...is not a racist/sexist/hate-filled comment .

Get. Over. It.

I would rep you if we had a rep system.

Why in the world do we not have a rep system....

Worded it differently? What are you talking about? He said he's Jamaican (black). Statistically it is easier for black applicants than anyone else. How else is there to present it?

Edit: Actually, even though Jamaicans have the same skin color as blacks (african american better for you?), they are actually from the Caribbean. So are they even URM?
You do know that there are Asian Jamaicans and White Jamaicans and the like, right? Oh, prolly not, because you're an ignorant prick... and to think you want to go into a profession where you have to show some cultural sensitivity. SMH

You do know that there are Asian Jamaicans and White Jamaicans and the like, right? Oh, prolly not, because you're an ignorant prick... and to think you want to go into a profession where you have to show some cultural sensitivity. SMH

Settle down, this isn't your secondary diversity essay.

Just aim for a 45, there's nothing wrong with that, and you'll probably end up with a great score. Why would you only want something like a 32?

does being non-trad help?

I don't know how admissions committees look at it, but I think it would It takes seriously conviction if you step away from a full-time job, even a crappy one, to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a post-bac in hopes of spending the next 7+ years of your life studying/training while racking up a quarter million dollars in debt.