What kind of research degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoBod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am an orthopaedic surgery resident. My situation is so terrible at home and socially that there is no other option then dropping out. Discussed and thought about for a year. Everything is taken care of, student loan etc.

I have no other direction to go other than research as I always liked it.

What research degree or degrees can I do that are common to more than 1 discipline so the job opportunities are better. In fact what part time research degrees are available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am terribly stuck in a situation and need some direction to move forward.

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My advice: pause, get your personal life in order, and re-evaluate. The path I'm thinking would be to complete a residency in something else and then do a research fellowship (or a fellowship with a strong research training component). Otherwise you will have an uphill battle making yourself competitive for research faculty or physician scientist positions.

Thanks that is very helpful.
Appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're serious, get a masters in biostatistics-- very portable and actually legit enough where many fields will take you. Pharma consulting, clinical trials, working at a med school or hospital as a statistician, getting out of medicine by being a statistician. Don't waste it on an MPH or epidemiology degree: some people in medicine will give some wiggle room outside of those strict degrees as far as hiring you, but outside of MDs who commonly get these less rigorous degrees, people won't respect them as much as an MS in biostatistics so you won't be as competitive for as many and as diverse roles.

are you looking for a research opportunity?