What kind of classes do you take for EMT-B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And can any of them be transferred to another college?

Also, am I correct in assuming you have to be at least EMT-B to work as an ER Tech?

Members don't see this ad.

shaggybill said:
And can any of them be transferred to another college?

Also, am I correct in assuming you have to be at least EMT-B to work as an ER Tech?
Try here:

http://www.uc.edu/programs/viewprog.asp?progid=1313

U of C says they are non-degree courses, but that may or may not mean they would count toward some major, somewhere. I did mine at a community college, so I have 6 credits or whatever from that institution to toss on the pile.

EMT-Basic is a job title, and it's also a level of certification... and just to keep things clear, it's often a program or course title. Usually it's about 150 or so classroom hours, plus maybe 20 hours practical training (ambulance ride-along plus time observing in an ED). It varies by state, but there is a national cirriculum that the NREMT lays out, and most states go with that, or something a lot like it.

To be an ER Tech, it depends entirely on the ED. Certified Nursing Assistant and Medical Assistant are usually fine. Some are fine with no training(!). Some require EMT-Basic plus formal phlebotomy and EKG training. I work at one of those US News list fancy Level One places, and I have co-workers ranging from NA's to Paramedics. Meanwhile, the very nice ED in the swanky suburban hospital would require to get a special "ED Tech" cert from one of the local 2-year colleges if I wanted to work on their patients.

Where I live, the EMT-B class is a combined course, meaning you don't take xxx class here, zzz class there, and then combine your credits into the course. Even if you've already taken, say, a CPR course, you're not exempt from having to take it again when you enter EMT-B class. Like Febrifuge said, it's usually about 150 hours of classroom time combined with approx. 24 hours of field ride time, depending on where you live. I took it 7 years ago, then went to EMT-Intermediate. We still spent a great deal of time going over things we learned in EMT-B class. And the same happened when I went through paramedic training.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, usually, there's no real need to take any pre-reqs for the class because they'll teach it all to you during the program. :)
Anyway, good luck to you!!! :D :thumbup: