Accelerated EMT-B for a future PA with CNA experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAprettyplease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to have opinions on accelerated courses for someone who already has some background in the health care field and education. My ultimate goal is to complete enough hand on hours to be eligible for PA School. So far I have 450 hours, but need 2000 for one of the schools I want to apply to. Additionally, I just want to work in the healthcare field as much as possible until I get into school.

Generally I feel that a longer course means higher retention of material, but all I've read here so far suggests that there isnt as much material to be learned from the EMT-B course as there is OJT. I have been a CNA part time for nearly a year, in addition to taking Combat Life Saving courses while in the military. Would an accelerated (2 week, or hybrid online plus 1 week hands on) program be a reasonable way to plus up my certifications and switch from being a CNA to being an EMT? I've gotten enough bedside manner and patient care experience from being a CNA and a Physical Therapy Rehab Aide that I feel I understand the job and the atmosphere, and I want to move on to a more critical care/medical application rather than caregiving.

I am pressed for time or I wouldnt be considering the accelerated path. I will graduate with my Biology Bachelors in December (I've already taken Anatomy with cadaver lab, Physiology, and all other science prereqs for PA School), and want to take an EMT course immediately after to start working in January. PA applications open in April, and deadlines are in September (although I want to apply early for rolling admissions). Would an accelerated course be advisable to start working fast and accruing hours, or will the accelerated course just look bad on a school application? Does it matter? And would an accelerated course really hurt me for job hunting even though I already have other experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to have opinions on accelerated courses for someone who already has some background in the health care field and education. My ultimate goal is to complete enough hand on hours to be eligible for PA School. So far I have 450 hours, but need 2000 for one of the schools I want to apply to. Additionally, I just want to work in the healthcare field as much as possible until I get into school.

Generally I feel that a longer course means higher retention of material, but all I've read here so far suggests that there isnt as much material to be learned from the EMT-B course as there is OJT. I have been a CNA part time for nearly a year, in addition to taking Combat Life Saving courses while in the military. Would an accelerated (2 week, or hybrid online plus 1 week hands on) program be a reasonable way to plus up my certifications and switch from being a CNA to being an EMT? I've gotten enough bedside manner and patient care experience from being a CNA and a Physical Therapy Rehab Aide that I feel I understand the job and the atmosphere, and I want to move on to a more critical care/medical application rather than caregiving.

I am pressed for time or I wouldnt be considering the accelerated path. I will graduate with my Biology Bachelors in December (I've already taken Anatomy with cadaver lab, Physiology, and all other science prereqs for PA School), and want to take an EMT course immediately after to start working in January. PA applications open in April, and deadlines are in September (although I want to apply early for rolling admissions). Would an accelerated course be advisable to start working fast and accruing hours, or will the accelerated course just look bad on a school application? Does it matter? And would an accelerated course really hurt me for job hunting even though I already have other experience?

As long as you pass the class and National Registry, no one will care if you took an accelerated course.

Reactions: 1 user
With your previous healthcare experience as a CNA and Aide you should be ok taking the "zero to hero" accelerated EMT program. You are already familiar with how to appropriately interact with patients and you know the role of the medical provider in critical situations, which puts you ahead of many people. I wouldn't recommend an accelerated program for everyone, but you have other goals in healthcare so you are a great candidate to do well as an EMT by taking the quicker program.

As far as getting hired, taking the accelerated program won't be an issue at all. Once you pass the NREMT and get certified and licensed in your state, employers shouldn't care how you got there. If for some reason it comes up in the interview, just talk about your past medical experience and education along with your future goals in medicine. The employer will realize your Anatomy and Physiology knowledge surpasses that of an average EMT-B and you have enough medical experience to make up for any shortcomings an accelerated program might have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely take the accelerated course. However, forget everything you know as a CNA while taking the course.