What is your preference ? Preliminary IM vs Preliminary Surgery or TRI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Onion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I don't have a lot of preliminary IM interviews. I don't know if I should rank some preliminary surgery programs as well ? or I should scramble to TRI if I don't match into a categorical program or an advanced program plus a preliminary IM? What do you think ?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would not rank prelim surgery programs, I would rather try to scramble into a prelim IM if I could first. Do you mean TY or do you actually mean an osteopathic TRI? TY I think would be unlikely to scramble into. But TRI - I would choose that over prelim surgery, assuming of course, that your PGY2 position will accept an AOA program still in 2016. When you say you don't have a lot, how many do you mean? I honestly can't even imagine the torture of prelim surgery but it could be different if you do like surgery lol.

Thanks so much for your reply. I personally prefer an osteopathic TRI over prelim surgery. I am not sure if AOA internship will be accepted by advanced ACGME residency programs? Maybe in 2016, they will. But in the future, nobody is sure. I don't mind to suck it up and do one year of prelim surgery. I don't know if I want to do any ACGME fellowships in the future. I am afraid that they won't accept me because I did an AOA internship, not an ACGME internship. Sorry, I am just being paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would not rank prelim surgery programs, I would rather try to scramble into a prelim IM if I could first.

I would advise against having any sort of scramble into your strategy. If you have to rank a surgery prelim, then that is exactly what you should do.

Other than, prelim medicine is the most appropriate internship for PM&R, in my opinion.

I would recommend to try and SOAP into a prelim year if you don't match into one because you would have more options for advanced programs the following year. If you still don't match you can find TRI spot. The week before MATCH week you can contact some TRI programs to see if they have open spots & let them know you are interested if you don't match, then at the end of MATCH week if needed you can contact them back.

I would recommend to try and SOAP into a prelim year if you don't match into one because you would have more options for advanced programs the following year. If you still don't match you can find TRI spot. The week before MATCH week you can contact some TRI programs to see if they have open spots & let them know you are interested if you don't match, then at the end of MATCH week if needed you can contact them back.

First off...how will a program know whether or not they will have an opening BEFORE the match?

Next... Everything that I have read about the SOAP states that discussions have to be "program-initiated". Applicants or schools initiating communication in regards to the SOAP runs the risk of being a match violation. I would definitely ask NRMP before employing this tactic.

Reactions: 1 user
There will be tons of TRI's after the allopathic match. Trust me. I've been there. A lot of those programs don't even interview and seem to count on the post-match scramble. I have had a great experience so far.

Is an ACGME pgy1 required for post-residency fellowships or is this an unknown right now?

Reactions: 1 user