What is your 'plan B?'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femme_fatal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am what is considered a 'marginal' radiology applicant. For various reasons. I was told by many many people that I might not be able to match at all and to start thinking about alternative career. I will try my best to match, and so far my plan B is to reapply after internship year. Can anyone share theirs? I do not really want to do Nuclear medicine, take year off for research, etc. I am an older applicant (I am 36).
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

femme_fatal said:
Hi, I am what is considered a 'marginal' radiology applicant. For various reasons. I was told by many many people that I might not be able to match at all and to start thinking about alternative career. I will try my best to match, and so far my plan B is to reapply after internship year. Can anyone share theirs? I do not really want to do Nuclear medicine, take year off for research, etc. I am an older applicant (I am 36).
thanks

I was just going to try again, but fortunately I matched and I was really concerned about not matching...so try to stay positive and interview really well. Apply broadly if you haven't already...I applied to 70+ radiology programs...might as well spend some money upfront to increase your chances of matching. I luckily matched at my #1 but had I not I probably would have matched to my #3 and #5 which went unfilled. I could not predict which programs I would get an interview at...I was surprised I didn't get some interviews at some programs, and at least 1/2 of my interviews were a total shock.

Why not do a gen surg residency, then plastics......your biography still says "wanna be a plastic surgeon."