Career planning question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineer16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year student planning on matching into radiology but I'm having some concerns about the future of the specialty. Things about radiology that interest me include the potential for technological changes within my lifetime and the large volume of cases compared to other specialties. Radiology looks like a field that can only grow, it's not as though medicine will become any less relying on imaging to diagnose and treat. At the same time I'm afraid of choosing radiology having read multiple posts (not just on SDN) about how the field is in decline and we'll all be making pennies per case some day. I am truly excited about the prospect of a career in radiology and I don't mean to come off as gloomy before I even finish medical school. Even though average step scores for the field have held steady, interest among students in the field is in decline, both anecdotally and in the number applicants. Many threads here have broached this issue without answering my central question: is it relatively foolish to apply for radiology right now?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about compensation but competitiveness for radiology increased last year and has increased again this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perspective of new attending: Compared to the other medical specialties, radiology is still a good option with the potential to positively make a difference in the lives of many patients. Field is very technologically advanced. For the most part, compensation is still very high, and job market is opening up again. However, please note it is definitely NOT cushy as med students and other doctors make it out to be. You will be reading many cases (almost like an assembly line, with very little breaks) and each day is long and exhausting (~50-60 hrs/wk). Most jobs have some sort of call, which includes periodic late evening shifts and/or weekend shifts. The only exception would be mammo-predominant jobs, which have more options for part time or little to no call. I think if you go into radiology knowing this, that you will be working very hard yet helping a lot of patients, you will not be disappointed or shocked. If you are in medical school now, I still think radiology should be near the top of your lists. However, if you are not in medical school, I think going into finance or real estate would be a quicker and more efficient way to earn money out of college.

Reactions: 1 user
My home PD told me

They definitely know more than I do, but looking at charting outcomes the number of US seniors applying as well as step 1 scores are down compared to 2014. Only 9 US seniors didn't match into diagnostic radiology in 2016 in the entire country.

Hard to tell if same amount of people are applying to more programs or there's actually more applicants for the 2017 cycle

They definitely know more than I do, but looking at charting outcomes the number of US seniors applying as well as step 1 scores are down compared to 2014. Only 9 US seniors didn't match into diagnostic radiology in 2016 in the entire country.
I don't know anything about compensation but competitiveness for radiology increased last year and has increased again this year.

Both are true. 2015 was the nadir. 2016 was slightly less competitive than 2014. It's likely on the upswing.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you loljkttyl for the candid thoughts. Volume doesn't scare me, it is what attracts me to the field.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile