What is the most research you have heard of for an ortho residency applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skol926

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of someone applying with 30+ publications? Actual papers on pubmed, not just ERAS criteria. Wondering what some people are doing and what the top student apps look like.
I currently have 10 as an MS2 and the opportunity to keep trucking along, wondering if it is worth it to keep researching or if you hit diminishing returns at some point

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever heard of someone applying with 30+ publications? Actual papers on pubmed, not just ERAS criteria. Wondering what some people are doing and what the top student apps look like.
I currently have 10 as an MS2 and the opportunity to keep trucking along, wondering if it is worth it to keep researching or if you hit diminishing returns at some point
Step 1> everything

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
115. This was from an IMG applicant who spent 3 years in research. They did not match.
7-8 is the average publication number (of any kind) for accepted students. Make of that what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Doctor, US IMG here..as someone interested in orthopedics i would like to ask you what would be the probable reason that someone with 115 publications didnt match? was it purely due to the IMG status ?
and another question..Realistically, other than great scores and LOR'S ( not that they are easy to come by :) )what would you advice to a US IMG who aims for a residency in Orthopedics? Any specific advice you can give to me doctor regarding research / anything else based on your experience doctor ? :) thank you for your valuable time doctor :)

Doctor, US IMG here..as someone interested in orthopedics i would like to ask you what would be the probable reason that someone with 115 publications didnt match? was it purely due to the IMG status ?
and another question..Realistically, other than great scores and LOR'S ( not that they are easy to come by :) )what would you advice to a US IMG who aims for a residency in Orthopedics? Any specific advice you can give to me doctor regarding research / anything else based on your experience doctor ? :) thank you for your valuable time doctor :)

IMG status. Ortho is very competitive and there are plenty of US applicants who do not match.
My advice: apply to another specialty and don’t waste your time.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG status. Ortho is very competitive and there are plenty of US applicants who do not match.
My advice: apply to another specialty and don’t waste your time.

thank you for the straightforward and honest reply doctor :)

There's a current resident that had 30+ when he applied. However, the important point was that this resident (as a medical student) worked with an attending that was looking for someone to help increase their research output. He obviously did a good job with 30+ publications. This made a great impression on the attending and he really vouched for him when he applied to that program.

The point is that the number of publications isn't as important as the relationships you form with faculty. Working hard and staying motivated is key.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

Please don’t post the same thing in multiple forums, that is a rule violation.