Ortho attendings...what is something you would have done differently in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that you are out in practice, is there any advice you can give an ortho resident? For example, I have heard "pay more attention in clinic" from one attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Operate as much as you can and go to clinic as much as you can. 5 years goes by extremely fast. If you're not at the hospital you're not learning.

I had the opportunity to work with a few ortho surgeons at our hospital who were not technically with the program. They took their own call, so I would end up taking call with them. I got to do extra cases as a junior resident, without seniors when on call with them... one of my best decisions in residency.

Reactions: 1 users
write stuff down and take pictures. everything. things you do not think are important.,, positioning, table set up, how they bump, how the retractors go in, what sutures to use, what sets you need for what cases...those are the things that'll make your life easier when you're an attending.

Reactions: 1 users