What is the Medical Community's Perception of NYUGSOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vomitcom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU has had a meteoric rise recently. I am curious if people within the medical community have also shifted their view of the institution as one of the more elite places? Even a decade ago it wasn't seen as in the same stratosphere as some of the powerhouses, so I am curious if the community's view has shifted at all.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU has had a meteoric rise recently. I am curious if people within the medical community have also shifted their view of the institution as one of the more elite places? Even a decade ago it wasn't seen as in the same stratosphere as some of the powerhouses, so I am curious if the community's view has shifted at all.
hmmm, I think when they made tuition-free people kinda talked about them. But in my field and specialty that my friends going into its known to be the breeding ground of malignant NYC behavior and should be avoided.

hmmm, I think when they made tuition-free people kinda talked about them. But in my field and specialty that my friends going into its known to be the breeding ground of malignant NYC behavior and should be avoided.
LOL, here we go with the "malignant" keyword that gets thrown around, yet most have no clue or what they claim to be malignant is hard work. To the OP, don't let the negative people on this forum and cast negative views of a program without hard facts to support it. I have no pony in this race, but when I see these nonsensical comments, It compels me to respond.

Just think what this poster said, no actual experience there, only that it is "known be the breeding ground of malignant NYC behavior"", LOL, known by whom I ask? Then he said it should be avoided, how can anyone give that advice without any firsthand knowledge of a program.

People have the right to provide insight on this forum, but to contribute, please have specific firsthand knowledge(negative or positive) not merely, it is well known. That statement alone means they probably read more hearsay on this forum and just repeated it as being true.

Lastly, I do believe that the free tuition certainly helped in attracting more highly quality candidates and therefore likely helped contribute to the rise in rankings.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, here we go with the "malignant" keyword that gets thrown around, yet most have no clue or what they claim to be malignant is hard work. To the OP, don't let the negative people on this forum and cast negative views of a program without hard facts to support it. I have no pony in this race, but when I see these nonsensical comments, It compels me to respond.

Just think what this poster said, no actual experience there, only that it is "known be the breeding ground of malignant NYC behavior"", LOL, known by whom I ask? Then he said it should be avoided, how can anyone give that advice without any firsthand knowledge of a program.

People have the right to provide insight on this forum, but to contribute, please have specific firsthand knowledge(negative or positive) not merely, it is well known. That statement alone means they probably read more hearsay on this forum and just repeated it as being true.

Lastly, I do believe that the free tuition certainly helped in attracting more highly quality candidates and therefore likely helped contribute to the rise in rankings.
OP specifically asked for the community views of the place. This view exists whether you like it or not. U can get all angry about it and lash out but it doesnt change the fact thats it out there and prob for good reason.

The rise in rankings was instantaneous because the scoring is heavily based on funding, including research funding. They had an influx of funding and rose to the top before anyone graduated that would have been benefactors of top tier recruitment efforts a la free tuition.

It's a top tier med school in NYC with free tuition. Regardless of what people think about it, it will attract whichever students the administration wants to bring in with very few exceptions. People might think it's "malignant," and I might still think twice about doing residency training there (though really that's got more to do with the cost of housing in NYC), but absolutely no one is going to look down on NYU graduates, which is a far more relevant metric.

I think NYU is indicative of what we'll see in the future, especially since reimbursement is clearly in the crosshairs and physician labor organization is so poor. Medicine will become far less attractive as a career path, but the top places will offer hefty scholarships and we'll simply accept that lower tier students will struggle with both loans and employment while top tier students will get scholarships. It will be a lot like law, except unlike law there won't be Big Med firms that start associates at $200K, pay income partners $1M+, and pay equity partners $3M+. Unlike law residency will continue to pay like garbage, and probably we'll wind up with an MD being somewhat like a PhD. Top students will either go into medicine in academics and chase prestige for little money, or they'll leave medicine and be heavily recruited for consulting firms or tech or other sectors that can still make money.

So what does this mean for NYU? It means NYU is ahead of the curve, but likely in 10-20 years nearly every top tier med school will make a similar effort to maintain competitiveness by either waiving tuition or offering hefty scholarships to many students, much like top law schools today. Probably we will see a regression to the mean for NYU in both decreased NIH funding and perceived prestige, but it will still be a top tier med school in NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
OP specifically asked for the community views of the place. This view exists whether you like it or not. U can get all angry about it and lash out but it doesnt change the fact thats it out there and prob for good reason.
Says the person with no knowledge of the program other then what you heard, or better yet, it's well known, LMAO. But, ok.

BTW, not angry and couldn't care less to be honest.

• Dislike
Says the person with no knowledge of the program other then what you heard, or better yet, it's well known, LMAO. But, ok.

BTW, not angry and couldn't care less to be honest.
You do seem very angry and u also seem to miss the entire point of OP question, He/she is asking about what are people's perceptions of the program from what people heard or otherwise. But u have a axe to grind so u ignore what OP is asking and go off on ur angry tangents.

• Dislike
Are there any NYC schools that aren't breeding grounds of "malignant NYC behavior"? And also, can you specify how this is true of NYU?

Are there any NYC schools that aren't breeding grounds of "malignant NYC behavior"? And also, can you specify how this is true of NYU?
The idea that any particular school is malignant feels like fantasy. It's the sort of thing that resonates way better on a message board than in real life.

"Malignant" characteristics typically exist on a micro level (e.g., a single residency program) or a macro level (e.g., an entire industry). A whole university isn't going to breed that behavior as a whole. At most they'll tend towards that behavior, but the variability program to program will be enough that classifying the school as malignant is meaningless.

Micro level malignancy happens because of one particular person or group, like a residency director who exhibits sexist tendencies or no respect for work-life balance.

Macro level malignancy typically happens because funding sources are low. You see this very often at non-profits or industries with low margins. Doctors have stayed on top of the supply/demand curve and kept compensation high, but hospitals run 3% margins or less and CMS keeps pushing down reimbursement. The result is exploitation of those with the least power in the system (i.e., medical students, residents) and overall macro level malignancy (that we write off as normal because everyone does it).

It's a top tier med school in NYC with free tuition. Regardless of what people think about it, it will attract whichever students the administration wants to bring in with very few exceptions. People might think it's "malignant," and I might still think twice about doing residency training there (though really that's got more to do with the cost of housing in NYC), but absolutely no one is going to look down on NYU graduates, which is a far more relevant metric.

I think NYU is indicative of what we'll see in the future, especially since reimbursement is clearly in the crosshairs and physician labor organization is so poor. Medicine will become far less attractive as a career path, but the top places will offer hefty scholarships and we'll simply accept that lower tier students will struggle with both loans and employment while top tier students will get scholarships. It will be a lot like law, except unlike law there won't be Big Med firms that start associates at $200K, pay income partners $1M+, and pay equity partners $3M+. Unlike law residency will continue to pay like garbage, and probably we'll wind up with an MD being somewhat like a PhD. Top students will either go into medicine in academics and chase prestige for little money, or they'll leave medicine and be heavily recruited for consulting firms or tech or other sectors that can still make money.

So what does this mean for NYU? It means NYU is ahead of the curve, but likely in 10-20 years nearly every top tier med school will make a similar effort to maintain competitiveness by either waiving tuition or offering hefty scholarships to many students, much like top law schools today. Probably we will see a regression to the mean for NYU in both decreased NIH funding and perceived prestige, but it will still be a top tier med school in NYC.
This is not surprising because top schools attract billions of dollars in donations and endowments that they can afford giving hefty scholarships and full rides for top students. Low tiers and DO schools don't have that luxury and the debt stratification will worsen significantly.

NYU is already viewed as an elite place with Columbia, Cornell and Mt Sinai.

Status
Not open for further replies.