Matching community anesthesiology, radiology, general surgery without publications as an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a manuscript rejected and was wondering what the chances would look like of being able to match these specialties from a low tier MD school with only abstracts/presentations but no publications. Top 5% of class but don’t know if I will get AOA because it’s based on other things as well

As I understand all research must be completed/submitted by end of M2 to be listed on eras

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about your likelihood of matching. Was your research presented as a poster? If so some congresses publish all of the abstracts in a special edition. You might even get a DOI number. Other option is to upload to a preprint server, this will also assign a DOI.

research is helpful but not really that important for any of these specialties, compared to board scores and LORs. You can always write about research experiences on ERAS to show your commitment even if it didn't pan out as a publication, hopefully maybe an abstract or poster you can get away with.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would research have to be completed by M2 to be listed on ERAS? That makes no sense.

None of those specialties are big on research (yet) except the ivory towers, get a 260 step 2 and you'll be good

Reactions: 2 users
Why would research have to be completed by M2 to be listed on ERAS? That makes no sense.

None of those specialties are big on research (yet) except the ivory towers, get a 260 step 2 and you'll be good
I feel like that would be my goal since the revision process can sometimes take a while

Just got a manuscript rejected and was wondering what the chances would look like of being able to match these specialties from a low tier MD school with only abstracts/presentations but no publications. Top 5% of class but don’t know if I will get AOA because it’s based on other things as well

As I understand all research must be completed/submitted by end of M2 to be listed on eras
Good class rank. Get a good Step 2 and you will be competitive for more than community programs. Research helps but not mandatory for anesthesia, Rads maybe, surgery for sure. I'd narrow my specialty focus if possible and audition or take electives at programs you are interested in. The OR is a small community and having good work ethic and interpersonal skills goes far.

Reactions: 1 user