What is the evolving gas? I'm perplexed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicate

took mcat, now applying
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I have no real idea how to definitely answer this question.

I figured MCAT is basic stuff so what was most apparent to me was

Cu + 2HNO3 ---> Cu^2+(NO3)2 + H2(g)

What is the correct thinking for this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 203
3Cu (s) + 8HNO3 (aq)--> 3Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2NO (g) + 4H2O (l)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the answer is NO, but my question is what is the reasoning you use to solve this problem. Also, what is wrong with the rationale of my first post?

it is NO because that is the only possible decomposition product. The likelyhood of two protons (H+) combining into a gas is very unlikely to occur. The other choices aren't really possible.

The simple answer is:
- when nitric acid is dissolved in aqueous solution, we obtain protons and nitrate ions
- the nitrate ion is a stronger oxidizing agent compared to the proton
- remember, oxidizing agents get reduced, therefore the electrons removed from Cu metal are combined with the nitrate ions, not the protons
- this should be sufficient information to solve the question considering the given options.
- hydrogen gas is not evolved since the proton is a weaker oxidizing agent and therefore does not obtain the electrons.
- this question would have been ambiguous if the answer choices listed both nitrogen monoxide and nitrogen dioxide, since either may form depending on the concentration of the nitric acid used:
Cu + 4HNO3 –> Cu(NO3)2 + 2NO2 + 2H2O (concentrated nitric acid; notice 1:4 molar ratio)
3Cu + 8HNO3 –> 3Cu(NO3)2 + 2NO + 4H2O (dilute nitric acid; notice the lower 3:8 molar ratio)

Why does part of the nitrate go with the copper and then part of it makes gas? Still isn't clicking for me.

Not to be a drag but you might want to get a mod to move this to study questions and answers area. I am pretty sure this is a AAMC question (I remember getting this one wrong).

The idea is you don't want to see the questions before you actually take the test, or else its kind of pointless.

Not to be a drag but you might want to get a mod to move this to study questions and answers area. I am pretty sure this is a AAMC question (I remember getting this one wrong).

The idea is you don't want to see the questions before you actually take the test, or else its kind of pointless.

True, although im pretty sure this question is from aamc mcat 3 cbt (the free one), which is arguably the most useless of the practice tests.

CO2 is eliminated b/c there is no carbon source. O3 is unlikely just because you don't see it much and because O3 would have to break an N-O bond and form two O-O bonds, so keep it in the back of your head as a possibility that is unlikely. It comes down to H2 and NO, and at first glance H2 looks good because you know that HNO3 is a SA and loses its H+ quickly.

From your MCAT preparations you can guess that the Cu strip is being oxidized by HNO3, hence bubbles. Cu half reaction is Cu--> Cu2+ +2e- or something to that end, not worried about stoichiometry. We also know the e- are not going to a cathode because it is just a cu strip in a solution. Something in the solution must be reduced.

As mentioned we have H+ and NO3- as options. Although 2 H+ could react with 2e- to form H2 (defined as 0 volts half reaction) we know that the small amount of H+ in the H2O solution before didn't generate bubbles (1E-7 M H+ is enough to do that, theoretically, plus le chatliers would make it favorable), so the only choice left is NO.

To rationalize this if POE isnt satisfying, you can say the N in NO3 has a +1 formal charge and wants the e- well more that H+ (N+ is more EN than H+) and will be more strongly attracted to the free electrons than H+. It does look complicated though, because why does N break two N-O bonds? they are broken by the addition of an extra electron from the Cu.

CO2 is eliminated b/c there is no carbon source. O3 is unlikely just because you don't see it much and because O3 would have to break an N-O bond and form two O-O bonds, so keep it in the back of your head as a possibility that is unlikely. It comes down to H2 and NO, and at first glance H2 looks good because you know that HNO3 is a SA and loses its H+ quickly.

From your MCAT preparations you can guess that the Cu strip is being oxidized by HNO3, hence bubbles. Cu half reaction is Cu--> Cu2+ +2e- or something to that end, not worried about stoichiometry. We also know the e- are not going to a cathode because it is just a cu strip in a solution. Something in the solution must be reduced.

As mentioned we have H+ and NO3- as options. Although 2 H+ could react with 2e- to form H2 (defined as 0 volts half reaction) we know that the small amount of H+ in the H2O solution before didn't generate bubbles (1E-7 M H+ is enough to do that, theoretically, plus le chatliers would make it favorable), so the only choice left is NO.

To rationalize this if POE isnt satisfying, you can say the N in NO3 has a +1 formal charge and wants the e- well more that H+ (N+ is more EN than H+) and will be more strongly attracted to the free electrons than H+. It does look complicated though, because why does N break two N-O bonds? they are broken by the addition of an extra electron from the Cu.

Maybe if I'm an engineer, dual chem/bio major, and a writer/historian, I'll do well on this test...