Dry Box Gas Law question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the "passage;" it isn't the entire passage, but I just double checked and there is no other information provided in the "passage" that relates to this question.

The density of argon gas at 0 C is:

A. less than 1.18 grams per liter.
B. between 1.18 and 1.62 grams per liter.
C. exactly equal to 1.62 grams per liter.
D. greater than 1.62 grams per liter.

D) greater than 1.62 grams per liter.
Under standard conditions, a temperature 25 C and a pressure of 1.00 atmospheres, the density of agon gas is 1.62 grams per liter, according to the data in the passage. As the argon gas is cooled, the density increases, so the density of argon gas at 0 C is greater than the density of argon at 25 C, 1.62 grams per liter.

I thought STP meant 0 degrees C, and pressure of 1.00 atmospheres. I'm confused why this question is saying that STP if 25 degrees C?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure it didn't say standard state? There is a difference between standard state and STP. Standard state is 25 degrees C.

reading it from the book right now it says, "under standard conditions..." same as what i have written. Should i interpret standard conditions as standard state? and that whenever that is said, they are NOT talking about STP?

reading it from the book right now it says, "under standard conditions..." same as what i have written. Should i interpret standard conditions as standard state? and that whenever that is said, they are NOT talking about STP?

No don't do that. Standard conditions = STP. For them to mean standard state they must say standard state. I would check to see if there is an addendum or corrections document that came out from the company to see if they fixed the error.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No don't do that. Standard conditions = STP. For them to mean standard state they must say standard state. I would check to see if there is an addendum or corrections document that came out from the company to see if they fixed the error.

The TBR books have a ton of errors. It has gotten really annoying, because I have to constantly double check about many questions, because I know the answer doesn't seem right. Others who may not be as careful might get confused. For how expensive these books are... it's a bit ridiculous.

You are wrong that standard conditions = STP. At least according to my Kaplan books, which specifically define standard conditions as 298 K (25 C), 1 atm, and 1M. This is related to standard state, which is the most stable form of a substance AT standard conditions.

You are wrong that standard conditions = STP. At least according to my Kaplan books, which specifically define standard conditions as 298 K (25 C), 1 atm, and 1M. This is related to standard state, which is the most stable form of a substance AT standard conditions.

Standard State = Standard Conditions = 25 C, atm, 1 M
STP = 0 C and 1.00 atm

???