What is the deal with the NIH Oncology Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waiting4Ganong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with the NIH/NCI Oncology Fellowship?

It doesn't seem to be mentioned at all as one of the major players in Oncology fellowship training but from the point of view of a basic science researcher it is pretty dominant.

What makes it less attractive than other programs (Hopkins, Yale, Columbia, Penn etc)? Is the that year of clinical training so poor that it outweighs the advantages of the following two years researching at NCI? Would you consider it in the top 10 programs in the US? The top 20?

How does this reflect on selectivity?

Opinions (and facts) welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at NCI/NIH and was really impressed. They have incredible opportunities for basic science research. I mean, fellows have access to the entire NIH. They also have very nice facilities. The fellows I talked to there seemed to think they and their peers were headed for impressive academic positions. People interested in private practice or even academic carreers focusing on larger phase III clinical trials will probably be unhappy and though they will get good training, they could probably do better elsewhere.

I think its a top notch program -- whether its top 10 versus top 20 is of course hard to say, and not all that important in my opinion. Its a unique place that is probably a perfect fit for some people and an not a great fit for others.

I interviewed at NCI/NIH and was really impressed. They have incredible opportunities for basic science research. I mean, fellows have access to the entire NIH. They also have very nice facilities. The fellows I talked to there seemed to think they and their peers were headed for impressive academic positions. People interested in private practice or even academic carreers focusing on larger phase III clinical trials will probably be unhappy and though they will get good training, they could probably do better elsewhere.

I think its a top notch program -- whether its top 10 versus top 20 is of course hard to say, and not all that important in my opinion. Its a unique place that is probably a perfect fit for some people and an not a great fit for others.

agree. I know two faculty members from NIH trained fellowship. One is based on research majorly and the second doing private practice..Both of them good at getting fundings, if you are very interested in that for future career, you will find fit there.