What Is The Deal With NUI, Galway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatal_Oblivion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!..We've all been hearing about medicine in Trinity, RCSI, UCD and UCC, however, absolute ZILCH about NUI, Galway...Why is this so?..Is it neglected because the university/medical school there really have such a bad rep?..As far as i know, it has the title of 'National University of Ireland', but is it weak in terms of the education?..I was told that Galway city is very nice with mountains, rivers, lakes etc, and that is a good thing, but my concern is with the medical school itself..I would really like to hear ur opinions about this, and any of u guys studying there, i would like to hear from u too..

Thanks alot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

NUIG in no way has a bad reputation. The reason you don't hear about it is that it doesn't participate in the Atlantic Bridge program. I don't know why this is. It is not weak in education. I've only met one NUIG medic when I was volunteering for the special olympics, and he seemed very happy there. I think there are Americans and other international students there, but probably not to the same degree as the other colleges because it's not on the AB scheme. If you want to know more about them, I'd recommend emailing their medical admissions department or health sciences department.

If NUIG students do read this board, I'd recommend them posting as well! The website isn't very helpful with regards to student medics.

leorl said:
NUIG in no way has a bad reputation. The reason you don't hear about it is that it doesn't participate in the Atlantic Bridge program. I don't know why this is. It is not weak in education. I've only met one NUIG medic when I was volunteering for the special olympics, and he seemed very happy there. I think there are Americans and other international students there, but probably not to the same degree as the other colleges because it's not on the AB scheme. If you want to know more about them, I'd recommend emailing their medical admissions department or health sciences department.

If NUIG students do read this board, I'd recommend them posting as well! The website isn't very helpful with regards to student medics.

<< What Leorl Said :D

Seriously, though, I went to NUIG as an undergrad for a while and loved it. I have a lot of friends there in Medicine, and similarly, they love it. It's a fantastic college - great atmosphere - and Galway city itself is my favourite place in the country!

They definitely don't participate in the AB or indeed any other international programme, but you can definitely check out their website for contact info. As far as I know you can apply directly - I seem to remember there being North Americans in the Medicine class when I was there.

Apart from that, I'd highly reccommend it! Check out www.nuig.ie/medicine (I think) for more info...

Members don't see this ad :)
The campus is gorgeous. And their sports center is top notch. Better than Trinity's anyway. I was just there last weekend for a huge race. It has good facilities. And that marine science building is class!

leorl said:
The campus is gorgeous. And their sports center is top notch. Better than Trinity's anyway. I was just there last weekend for a huge race. It has good facilities. And that marine science building is class!

Yup, they do have a lovely architecture - better than the Underground Bunker look so prevalent in UCD, anyway :D ! Ah no, I lie, some of the new buildings up and being built in UCD are nice...

For an idea of the student life in NUIG, check out www.sin.ie ! It's a handy resource...