University College Galway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Could anyone tell me what would be the basic entrance requirements for this school? Have looked at their website...not very much information. Have emailed them no response as of yet. I live in the United States. I am 41yrs. Would age play a role in me being accepted? If any of you could give me a run down I would so appeciate it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NUIG (UCG is the old name) isn't on the Atlantic Bridge list of schools, which is how North Americans usually apply to Irish schools. So I'm not quite sure about the entrance requirements or their likelihood of taking foreign students (although I'm betting it's similar to the other Irish universities). You might try contacting Atlantic Bridge and asking them questions (www.atlanticbridge.com) or calling NUIG's health sciences department. Sometimes people aren't good with getting back to you by email, especially in these parts...and especially for information that might take a good bit of discussion.

I know for a fact there are US students studying medicine in NUI Galway. Your best bet would be to call the Admissions Office in Galway:
Tel: +353-91-524268
Fax: +353-91-750519
Email: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that UCG stopped taking foreign students a couple of years ago. If so, the US students at UCG are people who had already started before the policy change. A quick phone call would answer your question better.

Age might play a factor in any medical school selection. Bear in mind that schools usually want to train you if you can offer at least 25+ years of service. Schools like McMaster U. in hamilton tend to take older applicants, are there are no "prerequisites" per se, so you might want to look in that direction.
There are no age stats on irish schools floating are there as far as I'm concerned. I do hear of people in their 30's who currently attend medical school there though.

Galway accepts something like 12 international students per year, with 4-8 spots for north americans and their 2004 entry has already been full I believe. I emailed them earlier this year. Their entry standards are quite high for international students.

hi.. im interested in going to ucg also. my dads from galway and i was staying with cousins there last summer. i went to go see the college and picked up a prospectus while i was there. about you being 41.. you would be considered a "mature student" it says that places are not available in this category on the following courses: arts (psychology), corporate law, commerce (international, with french german spanish or italian), and medicine. it has two asterisks next to medicine though and says special health care places only. for information contact the admissions office.. +353 91 524411
the mature students office is 091 524411 ext. 2695
email" [email protected]

hope i helped =) :luck:

Hi, I just graduated from NUI Galway, medicine. I'm a US student and already had an undergrad degree finished when I joined. It's not true that they're cutting back on international admissions. On the contrary, they are INCREASING international admissions from what I can see. The dean of the med school is extremely supportive of international students. There have been a couple of 'mature' students in their 30s so I don't see why being 'older' would be in a issue. You can ask them directly by calling the medical faculty office at +35391524268. Ask to speak to Rosaleen Carroll, she's the faculty supervisor and will have the information you need. Their working hours are 9:30am to 4:30pm Irish time with a lunch break from around 1pm to 2pm. They might be closed some afternoons during the summer though.

Hi I am a 39 year old from Cyprus (EU) with premed in Biology from Germany. I would like to attend a 4 year course leading to an MD. What did you find out? What are the options you had a look at? What are the admission requirements?

Sandra said:
Hello everyone,
Could anyone tell me what would be the basic entrance requirements for this school? Have looked at their website...not very much information. Have emailed them no response as of yet. I live in the United States. I am 41yrs. Would age play a role in me being accepted? If any of you could give me a run down I would so appeciate it. Thanks.