What is the deadline to take CS to be able to apply for the 2017 residency match?(im IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsung12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always though the match started 15 september im hearing march 2017 from newsletter
also do i need CS to be able to apply?
or can i apply with just step 1 and CK?

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS (application service) opens September 15. You have to apply for the match by sometime in February, and the actual match takes place in March. That's how it's always been. Pretty sure IMG's follow the same timeline.

Some programs specify that they want a CS pass before ranking (in February)

Side question: What happens if you fail the step 2 cs but pass it after sept 15 on the second time?

What do you mean?

If you have a fail before Sept 15 and submit ERAS, programs will see the fail. When you pass, you update your USMLE transcript and it will update the schools with the pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean?

If you have a fail before Sept 15 and submit ERAS, programs will see the fail. When you pass, you update your USMLE transcript and it will update the schools with the pass.

Let me rephrase that question, I could see how its confusing... I scheduled 2CS before sept 15th so I can have all my boards in before that day, as its best to do. My neurosis always gets the best of me and what if I fail 2 cs, As an US-IMG will having a fail in step 2cs before sept 15th, preclude me from entering into the match, or can i update with a pass later on if that happens to be the case and not be barred from applying until I do?

Let me rephrase that question, I could see how its confusing... I scheduled 2CS before sept 15th so I can have all my boards in before that day, as its best to do. My neurosis always gets the best of me and what if I fail 2 cs, As an US-IMG will having a fail in step 2cs before sept 15th, preclude me from entering into the match, or can i update with a pass later on if that happens to be the case and not be barred from applying until I do?

I believe you need a CS pass to be ECFMG certified. I'm not sure how not being certified would affect the application timeline for an IMG.

Some programs require you to be ECFMG cert before the Match/Rank in march and some require you to have it before starting in June .. Where it matters more if you are an IMG requiring sponsorship etc..

Take it now!!! You really should have Step 2CS done and dusted by the time ERAS opens in September. It gives you a tremendous advantage in the match since it makes you ECFMG-eligible (which is becoming a requirement for most programs anyways). Also, if you take it now, you'll have just barely enough time to take it again if you fail.

If by some miracle you get interviews without Step 2CS, you'll definitely have to have it done by the time ROLs are submitted (which happens in March).

That's why you've been hearing two different dates.