What is Pre-match offer?? How does it work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyfirst

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I went to an interview recently with 90% of the applicants were FMG. Should I be worried??? And after I looked at the resident classes, I think that nearly 100% of the current residents are FMG. I couldn't have known because the program's website was not the best and didn't list their current residents.

I only got to talk to one resident (PGY-1). No one else. Then the resident told me that he got the position through a pre-match process. Now, what does that mean?? Does that suck for those, like myself, going through the NRMP match?? How do you know if the Ob/Gyn programs that you plan to rank use the pre-match offer? And if they do, won't I be screwed because there are less positions available through the NRMP???

Please help!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was also confused by this at a recent interview. I heard from two IMGs that they were looking to get spots before the match, and that one of the spots the previous year was filled this way...

Anybody know what's up?

I heard that IMG's and students who have already graduated are not bound by the same rules that we are. it's perfectly legal for them to accept offers and sign before the match (don't stone me if i'm wrong, just passing on what i was told by other applicants.) not sure if all the programs do this though. i think it's only a select few. so i think if we take a year off and apply next year we would qualify. a nice deal for those that don't match and don't scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an interview recently with 90% of the applicants were FMG. Should I be worried???

Yes be very afraid!!! We can be very scary!!

This is your second post about the dreaded FMG's.

Yes be very afraid!!! We can be very scary!!

This is your second post about the dreaded FMG's.

Would you stop it, please? No one is hating on FMGs, for crying out loud. If you would READ the posts you're crying discrimination about, you'd realize that nobody's afraid of you, and nobody's saying you're a bad doctor. The concern on both of the posts you've complained about has nothing to do with being on a staff with IMGs.

The first issue is, does this mean that this program is less desirable for some reason I don't immediately see? (NOT because we don't want to work with icky IMGs, but because it is simply true that a desirable program would typically choose an AMG over an IMG, and so a high percentage of IMGs typically implies a low interest in AMGs). It's reasonable to wonder why the other AMGs aren't interested!

The second issue, the one raised in this post, is are my chances negatively affected by spots that I'm interested in being given to other FMG students before I have a chance to match into it? Again, a very LEGITIMATE concern, and not motivated by any negative feelings toward IMGs. So chill out! Sheesh.

Maybe these programs are just picking the folks they feel are the best "fit" for their program.

maybe they should pick the people who best fit their program through the match process

do you guys seriously believe that anyone getting a pre-match is stealing a spot?

it is a perfectly legal thing to do. if a program really wants an applicant, and they are available outside of the match, why on earth should they not offer a pre match? if they wanted the US grad bad enough, they would go through the match to get him. if they want the IMG, then by all means they should use whatever legal means they have to sign a contract with him.

i was the beneficiary of a pre match offer. i was one of the best candidates they had, and they wanted to get me here. i had other programs that i was interested in as well, and perhaps the program i was at did not want to risk me ranking them second and winding up somewhere else. so, they made the offer. i see zero problem with this. in fact, the only problem i see is that they force US grads to go through the match, which reeks of a monopoly to me.

do not begrudge the programs or the img's for following the rules, and finding a small advantage. if you are a better applicant, believe me, as an AMG you will get the job. if not, don't attempt to blame it on the IMG or the system. the system is such that even a moderately competitive US grad has every advantage, and we have to seriously outperform you in most cases to be given a similar opportunity.

do you guys seriously believe that anyone getting a pre-match is stealing a spot?

it is a perfectly legal thing to do. if a program really wants an applicant, and they are available outside of the match, why on earth should they not offer a pre match? if they wanted the US grad bad enough, they would go through the match to get him. if they want the IMG, then by all means they should use whatever legal means they have to sign a contract with him.

i was the beneficiary of a pre match offer. i was one of the best candidates they had, and they wanted to get me here. i had other programs that i was interested in as well, and perhaps the program i was at did not want to risk me ranking them second and winding up somewhere else. so, they made the offer. i see zero problem with this. in fact, the only problem i see is that they force US grads to go through the match, which reeks of a monopoly to me.

do not begrudge the programs or the img's for following the rules, and finding a small advantage. if you are a better applicant, believe me, as an AMG you will get the job. if not, don't attempt to blame it on the IMG or the system. the system is such that even a moderately competitive US grad has every advantage, and we have to seriously outperform you in most cases to be given a similar opportunity.

When you say "you guys", it makes me think you're referring to me as well. If not, then ignore this post, but if you are, let me clarify: I never said I have a problem with pre-match offers OR IMGs. My last post was simply to point out that a previous poster was being nonsensical when he claimed that this program was choosing applicants using the match, when in fact the OP clearly stated that they were not. For the last time, I have nothing against IMGs. I understand that residency programs have a preference for AMGs, and while I don't think that's a bad thing, I have no personal problem with IMGs, as long as they can do the job. Now, could you guys stop whining?

I think this post is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Everyone is reading into other people's posts a bit too much, or not reading other people's posts at all before replying. I think many good and not so good points have been made, and anyone desiring further clarification on any of the posts should just PM the author of that post. I'd also like to add that many programs have a big mix of good and bad, including AMGs, IMGs, DOs, and anything else I might be missing. If I've offended anyone by my post, I apologize.

I think this post is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Everyone is reading into other people's posts a bit too much, or not reading other people's posts at all before replying. I think many good and not so good points have been made, and anyone desiring further clarification on any of the posts should just PM the author of that post. I'd also like to add that many programs have a big mix of good and bad, including AMGs, IMGs, DOs, and anything else I might be missing. If I've offended anyone by my post, I apologize.

I have read every post and I like this one the best!!

I didn't know that my question about how pre-match offer works caused some negativity in the thread. Sorry. Honestly, I just want to know how it works. I am glad to see those who were able to benefit from shared the process with us. Thanks!