What IS Obamacare??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orange Julius

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not very political. I tend to avoid political discussions both in the hospital and outside it. But every where I go in the hospital people are talking about "Obamacare", usually pejoritively. I don't really know what they mean by the term.

I am a tad curious. However, I'm extremely busy and don't really have the time to research this. Could one of you please tell me roughly what people are talking about when they use this term.

I'm not really interested in whether you are for or against this "Obamacare". I'd just like to know what it is? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

"Obamacare" = PPACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) = the "healthcare reform bill."

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, allowing people who don't have insurance, to get insurance through state wide high risk pools, and after 2014, barring insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions while forcing everyone to have some sort of private insurance or they pay a fine (so you couldn't sign up for insurance only when you were sick). It also expands medicaid and such for people with low incomes.

The most contentious part of the bill is the part where private citizens have to have some insurance or they pay a fine.

Last edited:
Basically, allowing people who don't have insurance, to get insurance through state wide high risk pools, and after 2014, barring insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions while forcing everyone to have some sort of private insurance or they pay a fine (so you couldn't sign up for insurance only when you were sick). It also expands medicare and such for people with low incomes.

The most contentious part of the bill is the part where private citizens have to have some insurance or they pay a fine.

Thank you for a reasonable explanation, instead of the usual SDN "Look it up for yourself" response.

Oldiebutgoodie