What is "competitive" for a transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexMorganMD

I never read it.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am above average in my class, but not stellar. Some research. US MD school, 225 step I and 243 step II. What transitionals am I looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply early and those numbers should get you in the door at most places. I had similar numbers and matched to a competitive TY. TY's obviously have very good candidates to choose from. They really want someone who's bright, capable, and easy to get along with. So get your interview, interview well and you can definitely get a spot.

I have a Step 1 of 227, but am not planning to take Step 2 until post-match. Top 10 med school, middle of the class. Mix of H and HP during clinicals. Will it be hard for me to get my foot in the door for transitional year interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Step 1 of 227, but am not planning to take Step 2 until post-match. Top 10 med school, middle of the class. Mix of H and HP during clinicals. Will it be hard for me to get my foot in the door for transitional year interviews?

With the trend of many medical schools forcing an early step II on MS4's, your lack of numbers for step II may play a slight role. Some state schools are now throwing around the "no step II, no rank" threat. Delaying step II to protect decent step I scores may be a thing of the past in a few years. With that said I imagine the above post would apply to you for the most part as well.

Any word on which programs require Step 2 before the match?