Trying for Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strangetamer0619

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering if I should apply for transitional year or IM prelim. I am hoping to go into diagnostic rads after. I am a DO so I know that decreases my chances. My comlex:573. Usmle step 1: 239. I am currently on my 3rd year rotations and just wanting to plan ahead. I just want to know if I should even consider applying to transitional programs.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am wondering if I should apply for transitional year or IM prelim. I am hoping to go into diagnostic rads after. I am a DO so I know that decreases my chances. My comlex:573. Usmle step 1: 239. I am currently on my 3rd year rotations and just wanting to plan ahead. I just want to know if I should even consider applying to transitional programs.
Why not? Nothing to lose but some cash...and maybe some ego.

Don’t want to spend to much between interviews, applying and audition rotations. I just wanted to see if I was somewhat competitive as I have read competition is fierce for those spots. Thanks for the reply

Yeah, you’ll get some interviews. Won’t be at the ultra competitive ones but I interviewed at top Cush TYs with 240s/270s. Matched at a prelim closer to home but got an email from one of the TYs asking for feedback as I would’ve matched there if I wanted.