What is a typical day for a surgical POD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkivale

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering.
Here's my schedule today:
  1. plantar fasciitis
  2. plantar wart
  3. nail debridement
  4. athlete's foot
  5. callus
  6. plantar wart
  7. orthotic adjustment
  8. ingrown nail
  9. lunch
  10. snowboarding (fresh pow last night!)
Most days are similar but toss in a few bunion, neuroma, ganglion,
and hammertoe consultations.

Nat

Wondering.

That is a difficult question and it varies. It depends on what you mean by surgical pod as most pods are these days. And it depends on what you are capable of doing (training) vs what you want to do. I think most full time pods spend a day or day and a half in the OR and the other time is spent in clinic seeing new and post op patients. Some pods take hospital call and also spend time rounding on patients and seeing consults on the floor and in the ER. Some pod groups will hire a person to do all of their surgery and some ortho groups will hire a person to do all the f&a stuff.

Could you be a little more specific as to what you mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering.

the best way to find out isn't a forum, but to shadow one... a podiatric surgeon that is. If you need to find one, APMA has a mentorship page on their website I think or maybe it's the AACPM... one of them has it.

Good luck.

the best way to find out isn't a forum, but to shadow one... a podiatric surgeon that is. If you need to find one, APMA has a mentorship page on their website I think or maybe it's the AACPM... one of them has it.

Good luck.

Ok. What is a typical day for you? Explain in detail if you can.

The common week for any surgical specialty that is private practice based...

1 or 2 days in the OR. Can be 2 half days or 2 whole days or one half and one whole day in the OR.

The rest of the days are spent at the office seeing pre-op, post-op and non-operative patients, consults and new patients.

Your hours will depend on when it is beneficial for you to see patients. There will usually be at least one late night until at least 6pm or 7 and possibly even saturday morning hours. remember that your patients will also most likely be working or going to school and will need to take off to see you unless you have flexible hours and not just 9-5. Some pods have early morning hours 7ish to accomidate.

In the beginning your hours and OR times will vary until you build up the surgical case load to warrent block time in the OR.

Surgeons that are employed directly by the hospital and do lots of ER call can expect to do surgery more than once or twice a week.

I hope this helps a bit.

I would say a typical day would be spent in a lift line and making turns in the fresh snow. Other days would be taken up by playstation or similar activities.

...i can dream cant i...

I would say a typical day would be spent in a lift line and making turns in the fresh snow. Other days would be taken up by playstation or similar activities.

...i can dream cant i...

or live like "NatCh"! haha, you guys should get together.